Sunset

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Joseph Lin, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Noemiedemay

Noemiedemay New Member

2. wcutler

wcutler Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Sure. I'm looking forward to seeing your additional photos, hope the branches aren't too high off the ground.

3. Noemiedemay

Noemiedemay New Member

I have a few photos of the flowers of the Prunus avium.

Attached Files:

4. Noemiedemay

Noemiedemay New Member

Took those two with my phone camera and here are a few more with a Pentax camera. I tried to compare the leaves but the Prunus avium leaves are still very small. The light was not good for photographs today. Maybe a bit of sun would help.

Attached Files:

5. wcutler

wcutler Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks, Noemiedemay. You can easily see the circles instead of stars on the back of the flowers. I can contrast the leaves well enough between the flowers on the tray, taken with your phone camera, where the leaf margins are what I would call unevenly scalloped - the edges are rounded off. In the posting just above this, the zigzag edges come to sharp points, like a more effective knife edge. On the 'Umineko', the pointed serrations are sort of in pairs. All of the ornamental cherries have serrations rather than rounded scalloped edges, often a little more deeply serrated (very little) and sometimes with little hairs at the serration tips.

I don't know whether this nice tree could have started out as 'Umineko', but you can find a lot of 'Kanzan' trees around that are on their way to being Prunus avium. Where you see one of those two-tone trees, the leaf comparison should be very clear.

6. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Active Member 10 Years

Two Shiro-fugen along Quebec, kitty corner to each other at E. 48th, in bloom at April 26, 2020.
    20200426_QuebecE48_Shirofugen_Eng_2141.jpg 20200426_QuebecE48_Shirofugen_Eng_2142.jpg
    20200426_QuebecE48_Shirofugen_Eng_2144.jpg 20200426_QuebecE48_Shirofugen_Eng_2146.jpg 20200426_QuebecE48_Shirofugen_Eng_2143.jpg

Noemiedemay likes this.