Sun exposure necessary during fall/winter dormancy?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by blake, Nov 30, 2007.

1. blake

blake Active Member 10 Years

There are a few locations in my yard that receive a solid 5-7 hours of full Texas sun during the summer. I'd like to incorporate some sun-loving conifers into those areas - I'm thinking maybe dwarf forms of Pinus mugo, Thuja occidentalis, and/or Juniperus horizontalis or communis. But in the fall/winter/early spring months - let's say October through March - those spots are in full or nearly full shade (due to sun angle and proximity to our home, a Southern Magnolia and some Texas Live Oaks). Will this period of shade during what would for the most part be a dormant period be a problem? Will winter color be compromised (in relevant plants)?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

No problem in terms of winter shade, the plants are dormant then. Pinus mugo might not like your summer heat, though.

Resin

3. blake

Thanks for the reply. And I appreciate the tip on the Pinus mugo, I'm struggling with conflicting information on heat tolerance for conifers. Cold hardiness is always covered in detail (and appears consistant across multiple sources) but heat tolerance not so much. On-line and book searches either turn up conflicting information (usually a range from zone 7-9) or no info at all.

Here is a list of plants in my consideration set. All can be sourced locally from multiple locations though - so you'd think they'd be adaptable here, right? - but I can't find anyone who can speak about them intelligently at the nurseries that stock them. If anyone can point me to a source for accurate heat tolerence information (book, online, etc.) or offer an opinion on which of these plants might be troublesome for me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Pinus mugo "Sherwood Compact"
    Juniperus horizontalis "Mother Lode"
    Juniperus horizontalis "Wiltoni"
    Juniperus communis "Compressa"
    Juniperus communis "Gold Cone"
    Cedrus deodara "Prostrate Beauty"
    Thuja Occidentalis "Golden Globe"

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. blake

Ron, I'm sure you're right. My lack of experience with conifers is due mostly to my own belief that most do not do well in north central Texas, compounded by the fact although most nurseries here sell mugos, junipers, and aborvitaes no one really seems to know much about how to grow them.

I'm familiar with the TAMU site and did check it before I posted here. The issue is specificity - If TAMU (or another edu site) says Cedrus deodara and Juniperus horizontalis and communis are adaptable to north central Texas (zone 8A) do I just assume all cultivars in those families will work? (The Cedrus deodara reference is for the full-sized tree, for example.) I know from my experience with Japanese Maples that that isn't the case - many Acer palmatum's are adaptable to north Texas and many aren't. My uncertainly is then compounded by conflicting information across multiple sources for zone hardiness. Maybe my question is two-fold: Is there a reliable source (online, book, etc.) for zone hardiness that folks here find useful? And given first-hand experience of those who participate in this forum can anyone offer thoughts on the general hardiness of the specific cultivars I listed versus the family as a whole?

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Not to discourage you from using this site, which boasts a character all its own, you might need to find an online (or local) community that can share experience with you. I'm thinking GardenWeb's conifers forum, which I think includes some hot climate people, or Texas gardening forum which I think there is too. There might also be local gardening clubs of some sort? Apologies if you're in all those things already, but thought they'd be worth a mention. American Conifer Society might also have some resources in the form of people involved or a regional group? Just some thoughts.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Regarding the Himalayan cedar yes, there is a major set that would behave differently than typical species: the small-growing cultivars with pale yellow or whitish foliage that is prone to sunburn. (Many of these originate on Vancouver Island, incidentally).