Appreciation: Summer maples 2022

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Jun 6, 2022.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Maks,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your photos.

It's not easy to identify maples when they're young seedlings. The young leaves can be somewhat different of those of a mature tree. What's more, they can hybridize, or revert to a less spctacular form when they're from seeds. I suppose they're from seeds, right ?

To me :
    1_1 is certainly a form of Acer amoenum. But there are hundreds of cultivars...
    2_1 could be Acer tegmentosum, but there are other species that have a "snake-bark" and similar leaves when young.
    3_2 looks like Norway maple, Acer platanoides. Or another...
    4_1 er...
    5_1 and 6_1 look like trident maple to me, Acer buergerianum. Could be some kind of Acer tataricum, but I don't think so...
    7.1 Acer pectinatum ?
    8_1 Acer japonicum, or A. shirasawanum, or A. pseudosieboldianum, or... Not a palmatum or amoenum anyway.
    9_1 is definitely a variety of palmatum or amoenum. It's a green dissectum, but since it's from seed, even if you knew the parent tree(s), you couldn't name it. Most of the dissectums have a kind of weeping habit, except 1 (or more ?). If when mature the port is straight, then it could be from an Acer palmatum 'Seiryu'.

Sorry I can't help you more.

Did you sow them yourself ? Where were the seeds from ? Anyway, they look very healthy (except 7_1 that shows a bit of chlorosis).

2. Maks

Maks New Member

Hi, Alain!
    Thank you for the detailed answer!
    And you are right - indeed, all my seedlings are from seeds. The origin of the seeds is different - I tried to get them from all sorts of places, mainly from different regions of Russia, but there are also MS distributions, as well as from Maillot-bonsai (You probably know). To my shame, at first time I did not know about the possibility of maple seeds germinating in the second year, so some "second-year" seedlings lost information about their origin due to my impatience)).
    As for identification, I fully agree with your arguments about the difficulty of identifying young seedlings. And here my hopes are only for the "collective mind" and the "method of exclusion")).
    1_1 agree
    2_1 - section "snake-bark" definitely, maybe Davidii?
    3_2 - marked as "Himalayan Maple". Maybe Sterculiaceum?
    4_1 ...
    5_1 and 6_1 really look very similar, and 5 is really Trident. 6 I have marked as Davidii, but I think this is a mistake. Most likely also Trident. It also has a characteristic feature (in this exemplar) - 4 small leaves come out of the node of ordinary leaves. Could it be a feature of some species?
    7_1 Marked as Pectinatum Forrestii from MS, some seedlings have ordinary green leaves, and some have such a light border. In appearance, they do not look "unhealthy", rather the opposite. Maybe it's a varietal trait, like palmatums?
    8_1 agree
    9_1 agree. It's from seeds from some Dissectum.

AlainK likes this.
  3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Osakazuki yesterday evening. This one gets plenty of direct sun in the afternoons

IMG_20220809_205858.jpg

4. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Wow, @maf , turning to autumn colours already - and such delicate peachy-pinks! Lucky you!

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Sun protection in this heat I feel rather than strictly autumn colours... I am not anticipating an early leaf drop... at least I hope not!

I have a couple more nominally green cultivars that are much more red/pink/peach than they should be this year and the only thing I can put it down to is maple sunscreen. Here is Acer sieboldianum 'Sode no uchi' for example, it started off green and has been this colour since some time in June:
    IMG_20220811_202824.jpg IMG_20220812_000638.jpg

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi @Maks , I'll have a go. I don't always agree with @AlainK on these, but we do on some. Of course with young plants it's always very risky to be too sure of anything!

1. probably A. amoenum
    2. Something from Sec Macrantha, maybe rufinerve. I don't think tegmentosum from the leaves, but that maple certainly is very promiscuous. Most likely a hybrid anyway.
    3,4. Not platanoides, maybe A micranthum or something from the tschonoskii complex
    5,6. yes, A. buergerianum
    7. form of A. pectinatum, looks like a young A. forrestii
    8. probably A. japonicum, wait and see
    9. Almost certainly A. japonicum.

Took a few pictures of maples in pots, in the shade: A. obtusifolium (possible hybrid), A. amplum ssp. catalpifolium, A. sinense, Acer 'Cosmos', Acer 'Kuro hime'

Edit: I don't know why these have attached strangely...

Attached Files:

7. AlainK

It's all right, I just wanted to start a discussion. Done ;-)

Try to resize your photos. They're quite big, maybe that's why...

8. AlainK

I downloaded your last photo and resized it (978 x 750) :

KuroHime.jpg

PS : I've used IrfanView for years, free and simple. Other free sofwares can do the same, but you know how old bags cling to what they know... ;°) ...

dicky5ash likes this.
  9. emery

Ah, maybe. I actually (and accidentally!) took these photos at 108 megapix. I was trying to take a shortcut, so I used a program called KDEconnect to move them from my phone to the computer over wifi, which is when I discovered they were each over 35mb. So I resized to 20% on the phone, then transferred, instead of doing my usual cabled upload and batch resize (using digicam, which is a photo library manager and editor).

Anyway the photos can be viewed, it seems buggy that the forum SW wouldn't make an icon for something over a meg, but whatever. Not about to futz with it more for now, heh.

AlainK likes this.
  10. AlainK

A few of my trees started a new branch, not two or more, but one.

'Deshojo' :

acerp-deshojo_220818a.jpg

'Flavescens', that doesn't "flavesce" so much :

acerp-flavescens_220818a.jpg acerp-flavescens_220818b.jpg

This one is from seed, probably from 'Atropurpureum', and it kept it's burgundy colour very long, just turning to bronze in the past few days. I don't know if it's because it's young (about 4-5 years in a pot, about 80 cm tall - 2 feet and 10 inches, in a rather small pot, but when I take it by the trunk, the rootball comes out, it's filling only half the pot !) the leaves are very small. 22 05 22, 22 06 22, and 18 08 22 (DMY) :

acerp-div-019_220506a.jpg acerp-div-019_220629a.jpg acerp-div-019_220818a.jpg

11. ATX

ATX Member

It's been a record hot and dry year here in Austin Texas with temps over 40 degree C. On the positive side, it's showed me which maples are the most heat tollerant. All pictures were taken on August 16th.

A.S. '6910' (shade after 2pm):
    6910.jpg

A.P. 'Akane' (shade after 2pm):
    Akane.jpg

A.P. 'Allen's Gold' (shade after 2pm):
    Allens Gold.jpg

A.P. 'Amber Ghost' (shade after 2pm):
    Amber Ghost.jpg

A.P. 'Shojo no mai' (left) & A.S. 'Bashful' (right) (shade after 2pm):
    Bashful Shojo.jpg

A.O. 'Hot Blonde' (afternoon sun):
    Hot Blonde.jpg

A.S. 'Jordan' (shade after 2pm):
    Jordan.jpg

A. Sieboldianum 'Kumoi Nishiki' (shade after 2pm):
    Kumoi Nishiki.jpg

A.P. 'Mikawa Yatsubusa' (morning sun only):
    Mikawa.jpg

A. Pictum 'Naguri Nishiki' (shade after 2pm):
    Naguri Nishiki.jpg

A.P. 'Olsen's Frosted Strawberry' (morning sun only):
    Olsen Frosted.jpg

A.S. 'Palmatifolium' (dappled light all day):
    Palmatifolium.jpg

A.P. 'Shigitatsusawa' (dappled light all day):
    Shigitatsusawa.jpg

A. Sieboldianum 'Sodi no uchi' (dappled light all day):
    Sodi-No-Uchi.jpg

A.P. 'Summer Gold' (dappled light all day):
    Summer Gold.jpg

A.P. 'Tsukushigata' (dappled light all day):
    Tsukushigata.jpg

A. Pictum 'Usugumo' (morning sun only):
    Usugumo.jpg

Acerholic, Xi-feng, D97x7 and 6 others like this.
  12. emery

Hey @ATX , your maples look amazing, and more than amazing under the circumstances.

Here, it seems that maples that are OK in the drought, might give up in the heat. Some resisted all July (like Kumoi nishiki) only to lose it last week, where to go with the heat we had 30 kph constant wind; a number of maples quit under that. Others are losing inside leaves (no color usually, just brown and crispy) but the outside still looks OK.

I have Mikawa yatsubusa here in full sun, it seems to be amazingly resistant, more so than various dry area plants like A. hyrcanum, it would seem. Palmatifolium and Shishigashira are very tough indeed, even a mature Sango kaku, in spite of it's reputation, is doing fine in full sun; though a less well established specimen is looking quite peaky, even though it's more sheltered.

maf likes this.
  13. ATX

ATX Member

Thank you @emery. I should mention that I’ve also lost a few this year but they were in tough locations and getting too much sun. Most of my trees are sheltered fairly well from the wind so that may make the difference. Water is the key. I water every two days in this heat. Compare that to once a week (or less) in the winter.

maf likes this.
  14. AlainK

Stupendous!

I water my trees every day, and those that are mainly in the sun are struggling not to be scorched. What kind of soil mix are you using ?...

Oh, that's a difference : I haven't watered my trees in the winter for years. It might change though...

15. ATX

ATX Member

I'm using something like 3 parts turface, 3 parts bark fines (reptibark as it's all I can find here), 2 parts pine bark compost, and 1 part pumice. I don't measure that exact when I make it. I just kind of go by feel. It seems to hold moisture and also allow the roots to breath. I order the pumice online and it seems to have made a big difference. Down side: with the pumice and reptibark this is not a cheap mix.

AlainK and maf like this.
  16. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

My Orange Dream which I moved to its current spot this spring has been getting 3-4 hours of evening sun and although it hasn't scorched, it also hasn't got a hint of yellow to the leaves. I'm quite disappointed it's just stayed a sort of fairly bland green! I thought it would've changed a bit by now at this point in the year.
    Hopefully the autumn colours are better.
    PXL_20220804_165322165.jpg PXL_20220804_165332181.jpg

17. AlainK

It's about the same with others like 'Katsura' : they're spectacular in spring, very nice in autumn when they're not sun-croched, but they're just pale green in summer.

18. ATX

ATX Member

My experience as well. A lot of maples shine in the spring but the ones that sparkle in the summer are the most endearing to me. That said, I live in TX and there's not much of a fall show here.

AlainK likes this.
  19. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

I think I may move it to a spot between my new Shaina and the Red Pygmy, hopefully that should give some nice year-round contrast that way! It should get more sun earlier in the day until midday as well in that position, so maybe able to pick up a little more yellow hints and just risk the scorch.

20. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

There’s always a fine balance between shade and sun to get the best colours. I think Orange Dream grows out to a lovely shape..there are a few great specimens in Westonbirt

21. dicky5ash

@AlainK

My friend saw this..I thought of you! 5268CFE8-FBA5-4B10-9F94-337F489B115F.jpeg

22. AlainK

Great tree, Rich.
    Thanks for sharing.

23. dicky5ash

At RHS Wisley

24. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I was gonna say, it look like one of Peter's @Wisley.

25. AlainK

Once again, my 'Tsuma gaki' has leaf spots. Nothing to worry so much about, but I'd like to see the autumn leaves in full health at least once...

acerp-tsuma-gaki_220830a.jpg

My 'Atropurpureum Dissectum' is beginning to show signs of the end of summer, but for a potted tree in full sun, that's not too bad :

acerp_atro-dis02_220830a.jpg

Acer griseum (dark green) and Acer triflorum apparently didn't mind the heat :

acer-gris01_220830a.jpg acer-gris01_220830b.jpg acer-triflorum_220830a.jpg

The delicate leaves of Acer pentaphyllum that also likes a hot summer. It looks almost like a cross between a maple and a bamboo :

acer-penta_220830b.jpg acer-penta_220830c.jpg

... and little Pinguicula 'Tina' has now two flowers. ;-)

pinguicula_220830a.jpg