Summer Growth Spurts

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Poetry to Burn, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

I'm getting some surprisingly robust growth from JMs this summer. I can't say if it is the cooler weather we're having this summer, or the very wet spring or the nutricote that i used in April. I have nice shoots on 'Beni otake' Aka omote', 'Emerald Lace', 'Autumn Moon', "Katsura', 'Alpenweiss' and 'Shin deshojo'.

Usually we have a hot, hazy and humid season with average rain (3-4in month). I usually see little or no growth in summer.

Pics coming

2. worldharmony

worldharmony Active Member

I grow vegetables and many of them have shot up in height or started producing fruits and vegetables over the past two weeks. It's been amazing. I'm in zone 6.

3. paxi

paxi Active Member

I can't remember whether we talked about this last year, but I too get some summer growth spurt shoots - shin deshojo, wilson's pink as a few examples. I must say as a whole I don't like 'em! For bushier trees, these stick out like little hairlicks begging to be snipped. For the vareiegates, the summer growth for me seems to be reversions. For the red leaf dissectums however, they are fantastic some vibrant reds adding an unexpected treat at the end of growign season.

4. FernP

FernP Member

We've been witnessing exactly the same with our 'bloodgood' jm's. Lots of new vivid red leaves, despite the spell of dry sunny weather we had during the last two weeks that caused some scorch on the older ones.

5. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

We're still not quite done with our first, late-spring leafing-out. But last year I had some late-summer growth spurts on a Purple Ghost and a Katsura. I was worried, actually, because they came so late in the season I was afraid the tree wouldn't have time to harden off properly before winter. But they did.

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Interesting that this subject should be brought up, as my Katsura recently put out a strong second flush of shoot growth, much earlier than I would normally expect. Most (90%+) of the rest of my palmatums are showing no shoot growth at all, as I would typically expect at this time of year. I wonder if this will be a replacement for the late summer flush of growth or if it will eventually have three growth spurts in one year?

I can't remember 100% if I repotted it last summer, but I may have, so it could be related to the fertility of the potting soil. Otherwise it has had exactly the same treatment as many other maples that are not experiencing growth flushes.

Here is a picture, you can clearly see the first flush growth which is now green, and the new shoots which are not:
    katsura.jpg

7. 01876

01876 Active Member

Same here in Mass. Attached photo is my Yezo Nishiki showing some strong second flush shoots.

Attached Files:

8. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

summer 2009 there isn't hot in Italy and maples normal grow,because in spring hailstone damage 80% new leaves (sig!)
    good perfomance
    Orange dream,buergeranium Goshiki shidare,rubescens Silver cardinal,Fire glow ,Chisio,platanoides Pri-go,japanese Sunrise,Oridono nishiki
    Distylum..

9. tjcher

tjcher Active Member

Hmmmm..... Interesting. I am having a lot of growth right now on these:
    --Kamagata
    --Butterfly
    --Orangeola
    --Sekimori
    --Inaba Shidare

but little or none on these:
    --Sango kaku
    --Bloodgood
    --Seiryu
    --Hogyoku
    --Emperor 1

Last year, everything seemed to be pushing new growth right now, particularly, the Sango Kaku. We've had unusually high amounts of rain, so I'm not really sure....

10. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

So far I see only a few trees pushing:

A.j. 'Dancing Peacock'
    A.j. 'Emmet's Pumpkin'
    A.p. 'Kandy Kitchin'
    A.p. 'Orange Dream'
    and the star of the show..

A.p. 'Shindeshojo', which is putting on a spectacular show of bright red new leaves.

I must say, this has been the most unusual summer I can recall for weather. Temperatures and humidity are well below normal, with only a few "typical" hot, muggy days this year. We are normally in the high 90s about now, even a few days in the 100s. Yet next week we have predictions of high temps in the low 80s and even some days in the mid 70's. Rainfall has also been unusually regular for us. Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining! I love it! But I'm also wary that this might portend an unusually different winter, which might mean colder than normal. I don't want that...

11. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Interesting photo -- it looks as though the second-flush leaves are larger than the older ones?

I am new to this variety, but I've got one in its second year in a prominent spot outside my front door. I'd love to see it make more rapid progress so as to become a real presence there. Right now it looks almost insignificant next to a lusty clump of Fargesia robusta, a bamboo that certainly lives up to its species name.

12. 01876

01876 Active Member