suggestions on Canada zone 3b climbing roses

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Manxcat, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Manxcat

Manxcat Member

Hello " much wiser gardening people than I "! I need suggestions regarding hearty yet fragrant climbing roses for a privacy fence. Actually, it's a snow fence we erected to prevent people from cutting across our front yard. Such are the woes of we who live on corner lots. Once we eradicate the dreaded, well established trumpet vines we have there now ... ( no problem with some illegal napalm, dynamite, and a back hoe, BUT they HAVE to go and they WILL, this Fall ) ... I need some advice on which roses to plant. I know nothing of growing roses, other than the fact that they need sun. The fence, which is approximately thirteen feet long, is on the South side of the property, with no shade from trees. That also means no protection from Winter cold.

So, any ideas? I could even forego the fragrant thing, as long as the roses flower all season ... ( is this possible? ) ... and are profuse with blooms. I wish it to look as beautiful as possible. I realise climbers take awhile to establish themselves, but I am patient. I just don't want to have to live another ten years before I see flowers. I'm not exactly a Spring chicken.

This is my plight. I need your help, and I welcome any and every suggestion you have. Thank you SOOOOOO much!

2. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

Try the "Explorer" series roses. They are all very hardy. I don't recall which ones are climbers, but they are readily available in Canada and will flower the first year if you buy large enough ones.

3. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Also try the Morden or Parkland series (from Morden Manitoba, so they for sure are hardy!)

4. Manxcat

Manxcat Member

I thank all of you for your suggestions on climbing roses! I have the names written down that you gave me, and I will go forth and accomplish. Manxcat