suggestions for lath house

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Moose, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Moose

Moose Member

Our arboretum now has its greenhouse up and running. Next we are looking at a lath house. There are issues of building permits, snow loads and so on. Are there generic plans available. I haven't had much success in finding any (other than general descriptions). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Here is a plan from Louisiana State Univ: Lath House - fairly generic, but I don't think they worry much about snow...

We're fundraising to replace our lath house here at UBC as it is in a state of disrepair. I imagine that the plans will be made available somewhere online once funding is secured, but this will likely occur too late for you. Again, snow isn't as big an issue for us (though I'm sure it's what has caused some of the breakage in the past).

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

How about the one in this list?

For someone like me who is not similar with lath houses, I found this document with photos helpful.

4. Moose

Moose Member

I am still working on the lath house project. I will post a picture when finished.

Any opinion about a traditional lath house vs a structure using shade cloth?

I would imagine the life would not be as long. Anything else?

Thanks!

5. Moose

Moose Member

Here is a picture of the "shade house" we finally arrived at getting. This type of structure is commecially used for growing ginseng in Southern Ontario. It suits our purposes (propagation of native plants) just fine.

Attached Files: