Suggestions for an upright growing dwarf Japanese maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maf, Jun 4, 2021.

1. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me here.

I am looking for suggestions for a very upright growing dwarf type Japanese maple, something that is going to be taller than it is wide, almost columnar or fastigiate. By dwarf I mean something that is twiggy on old growth with short internodes and small leaves, like most of the "hime" types but more vertically oriented. I am not looking for a witch's broom style maple or something with thick twigs and congested leaves like 'Kotohime' or 'Shishigashira'. (Both of which are great btw)

A semi-dwarf would be alright too, providing the growth habit was fastigiate enough. The main thing is the upright growth habit and having smaller leaves and relatively short internodes. For maximum size leaves think something like 'Murasaki kiyohime' or 'Beni tsukasa' or 'Katsura'.

Thanks for reading. I am looking forward to seeing any recommendations.

Edit: I am going to use this thread to add suggestions myself as I find them, in addition to those recommended by others, in order to create a reference thread for dwarf and semi-dwarf cultivars that have a naturally upright habit.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Xi-feng likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning M, looks like its going to be a lovely one here in England.
    Murasaki Kiyohime came to mind directly I saw the title of your post, although it is not columnar. All the himes I feel fit your request and they can be trained as an upright. It will take many years though, lol. But tbh I know you don't want a Broom, but Pixie and Kandy kitchen also sprung to mind as they are narrow upright dwarfs and less broomy than a Shaina for instance. I love both in my garden and they do so well in full sun with no burning.
    I will think on M, but this is my initial thought.

D

maf and Otto Bjornson like this.
  3. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

perhaps a "bonfire" might be in the running for you. Definitely dwarf / upright. This one has been in the garden for close to 20 years now. Opens up bright peach / yellow in spring, then to the verigated peach / orange tones, and finally green / peach as summer approaches. I did take a photo of the latest colors a few days ago. the full size tree image is right after the bright peach spring opening.
    This cultivator is in full sun as well.
    This was the most difficult tree to graft of our entire selection, usually 2-3 trees for sale each spring as it was so hard for the graft to take. Likely due to the limbs being so thin and flexible.

We would have customers requesting a year in advance to be put on the "bonfire list"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  4. maf

That looks like a good selection, if I can find one over here. Definitely going on the list.

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  5. maf

Thanks D, you must certainly have more patience than me if you can train 'Murasaki kiyohime' to be upright! My 20 year old one is about two feet high and four feet wide, admittedly rarely pruned. I find 'Kiyohime' to be a bit less wide but still not upright. If there is a hime that is naturally upright without pruning I would be very interested.

Good to know about 'Pixie', I have a smallish one of those and it does look like it will grow into a nice form as it matures. I have three of the red dwarf types derived from brooms now, and luckily they are all distinctly different from each other but if I get any more I fear they are going to start to be repeats in all but name.

6. maf

I have a suggestion for my own question! After visiting my mother this evening I saw the A. palmatum 'Helena' that I bought her a few years back. In a pot and about 3 feet (90cm) high and 1 foot (30cm wide) with an upright main leader and twiggy side branching. I can't remember if I had to stake it up when it was younger but, either way, it works in this form. Maybe not quite a true dwarf but certainly one to consider for a more upright small maple.

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  7. maf

Here are some pics of the 'Helena' mentioned in the previous post. It is actually over 4 feet, not 3 as mentioned above, and the pictures are all taken on the 1st of July, showing new second flush leaves compared to older leaves and an indication of the upright habit and twiggy growth.
    IMG_20210701_205014.jpg IMG_20210701_205106.jpg IMG_20210701_205139.jpg

AlainK, emery, Xi-feng and 3 others like this.