Succulents-can they live outside?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by anituchka, May 8, 2007.

1. anituchka

anituchka Active Member

Hi, recently I bough some succulents and planted them in my backyard in Maple Ridge, BC.
    Now I am having second thoughts as to whether it was a good idea. Can they stay outside in the winter? Or should I replant them in a pot? The reason I planted them in a bed is that I want them to grow and spread, they are so tiny. Maybe I should cover them in the fall? Just at what tempereature?

I think the names are chicks & hens. Basic succulents, like rosettes.

Thanks!

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

There are a lot of Sempervivum (hens and chicks). Most or all of them are very hardy. Do an image search for "Sempervivum" and see if you can find info on the exact one you have. Semps also grow VERY fast, so it might be a good idea to pull up a clump of them to bring in for the winter if you are worried.

3. anituchka

anituchka Active Member

globalist1789
    yes, they are Sempervivum ! now I remember that name I couldn't pronounce.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Next time you're at UBC BG, visit the newly-restored Intermountain Dry Habitat House in the Alpine Garden - growing around the outside are about six dozen different species and cultivars of Sempervivum and Jovibarba.

5. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

lol! I bet the odd one of those has "fallen" into visiter's pockets. Oh well, that's as much a gardening tradition as any other.

anituchka, if you like hardy succulents, my personal favorites are sedum (stonecrop). Very hardy and even faster growing. There are also more kinds then you can count.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't think any have been stolen yet - they used to be in the rock wall by the tunnel which wasn't very easy to access. With the renovation of the alpine house (thanks Alpine Garden Club of BC!), they were moved and can now be seen as a proper collection.