Succulents as Bonsai

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by cjjulian, May 1, 2009.

1. cjjulian

cjjulian Active Member

I have this thing about growing succulents in Bonsai Pots, there is something very intriguing and different about having succulents growing in these pots.

anyways, I have a couple questions about this.

what are good plant selections for these projects?

I already have a couple of them growing and they look happy.

[​IMG]
    Here is my Sedum and Haworthia about a year ago
    [​IMG]
    and this is how it looks currently.

i also attached a few pictures of what i currently have.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

I own an excellent resource book on the subject. Pachyforms II, Bonsai Succulents by Philippe de Vosjoli and Rudy Lime.

Most of the small to medium-sized succulents will do well in containers. They are generally a little more forgiving than trying to keep other groups of plants as bonsai, as they are naturally drought-tolerant. Most other bonsai will need frequent/daily watering and need to be shaded from full sun. Succulents are a great choice for bonsai display, however, the vast majority are not recognized as "true bonsai" at shows. Personally, I am more into the caudiciforms, pachycauls, and geophytes. One of the key points to make would be to grow them up as quickly as possible to the size desired. Then, place them into their restrictive pots. Most plants will severely stunt their growth if they are started out in small pots as young seedlings.

The other word of advice is that they will be very temperature sensitive once placed into the small pots. Succulents like hot weather and sun, but in a small container, the roots heat up excessively and are often damaged. During the heat of the summer, I place them in the ground or within a much larger container of soil (keeping them in their pots). This acts to insulate the plant's roots from the heat.

A few years ago, I posted a few photos of some of my plants in bonsai pots. They are in the Caudiciform and Pachycaul Tree Forum. Since that time, I have obtained the two books from Philippe de Vosjoli and have moved my plants into larger containers to fatten them up. At some point, I will trim the roots and display them in nice bonsai pots.

It is very addicting. Good luck with your plants.

Mark

3. cjjulian

cjjulian Active Member

Thank you so much!

I also have this Cyphostemma juttae that is still small, but I want to move it to a bonsai pot.

How do i achieve the fat base look on it?
    Its actually comming out of dormancy and peeking out a little leaf. Is it too late to repot it? or is this the perfect time to do it?

4. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Cyphostemma juttae will need to be grown for several years in either a large container (shallow & wide), raised bed, or field in order to fatten up. They do best with a long root run. Once the plant is the size and proportions you want, then do the root trimming and place it into a display pot. Another member, "caudex1" has some photos of his huge C. juttae in the Caudiciform and Pachycaul Tree Photo Gallery. These plants really need to grow and obtain some size before they become bonsai specimens.

The art of displaying fantastic bonsai specimens involves quite a bit of patience. Most of my tuberous, caudiciform plants have their caudexes buried. Raising the caudex to show the roots will severely stunt their growth and they will never have the impressive fat caudex that makes them so desirable. So, I wait.

Right now is the perfect time to do your repotting.

Mark