Identification: Succulent to be Identified and Helped

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Rocker0For0Life, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Rocker0For0Life

Rocker0For0Life New Member

Hello,

I got this succulent a couple of days ago, and I have a bit of an idea of what it is - and Echeveria of some sort? It's flowers (not present now) are a very light pink one very long stalks. Also, is there any way to help it grow better? The leaves were very spaced out when I bought it, but is there any way to recover from that?

Also, there's a little succulent growing on the side - is that a succulent on its own that i can repot? And how would I do that?

Thank you for your help :)

Attached Files:

2. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

break off the pup, let it dry for a week, then stick it in a pot of soil. It will grow. Give the plants as much light as possible to encourage slower, denser growth. And no, what is there will not transform, but the new growth will be denser. Succulents have a specialized capacity to hold water so can be watered infrequently - the leaves will not be a supple if you hold back on the watering but will swell when you do water them. They can survive several months without water.

3. Rocker0For0Life

Rocker0For0Life New Member

Thank for the info :) I was wondering if I could cut it where the leaves were starting to space out, and possibly help it that way? Also, do you have any idea about what type it is?

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Maybe Echeveria, maybe Aeonium, maybe a hybrid, or maybe something else. These are kind of hard to ID. Maybe if you break off a leaf when you remove the offset, you can see if it's attached like an Aeonium or an Echeveria.

"Aeoniums are members of the Crassulaceae, a huge family of succulents that include many other popular and commonly grown succulents, including some that look a lot like Aeoniums. Echeverias in particular are often confused with Aeoniums and there are several other rosette-like succulents (eg. Dudleyas, Graptopetalums, Pachyverias and Graptoverias). One thing that sets t these plants apart is the way their leaves attach to the stem- they are wrapped around the stem with a fibrous attachment so that when a leaf is pulled away, the stem is intact with only a transverse line showing where the leaf was attached. The other rosette Crassulaceas have succulent attachments and their being pulled off the stem leaves a divot in the stem."

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1058/#ixzz3Ih60c15M