Appreciation: Streptocarpella

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by wcutler, Nov 13, 2021.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm surprised that I have not posted my Streptocarpella. In a thread from 2003 in which that name was mentioned (for a plant that was not that), Douglas Justice wrote "Streptocarpella is a name sometimes used for the fleshy, small leafed group of Streptocarpus (Gesneriaceae -- the African violet family), exemplified by the beautiful Streptocarpus saxorum. In the currently accepted Streptocarpus classification, this group is given subgenus rank." I think that's still the case.

Mine is a cutting from @Eric La Fountaine's plant in his office. Here was his in 2012.
    20121003_UBCBG-EricsOffice_Streptocarpella_Cutler_P1330808.JPG

I keep cutting mine back, or starting it over entirely, so it doesn't bloom all that often, but it's doing it now. These photos are from two weeks ago; it still looks pretty much the same now.
    Streptocarpella_home_Cutler_20211027_093229.jpg Streptocarpella_Home_Cutler_20211031_123852.jpg
    Streptocarpella_home_Cutler_20211027_093332.jpg Streptocarpella_Home_Cutler_20211031_123903.jpg Streptocarpella_home_Cutler_20211027_093346.jpg

2. Larry Mroz

Larry Mroz Member

I love these plants - I had a small collection of Streptocarpus that I propagated from leaf cuttings and a big bushy Streptocarpella that lasted for years until I lost them all while away. Have you seen any Streptocarpella for sale recently? I haven't seen it available in years...

3. wcutler

I haven't been looking.
    I just cut mine back a month or so ago. :(
    Send me a message in a few months (start a conversation) and I can give you some cuttings.

4. Larry Mroz

Larry Mroz Member

Thanks Wendy - I'll do that - spring is just around the corner! :)

5. wcutler

Larry,
    My Streptocarpella looked like this a month ago, is a bit taller now. I could give you three or four cuttings 15-20cm long. Start a conversation with me if you're interested. I sent you a message a month ago, getting no reply, so I'm making one more attempt, in the thread.
    Streptocarpella_Home_Cutler_20220703_123701.jpg

Larry Mroz likes this.
  6. wcutler

Well, I saw this plant at the Bloedel Conservatory yesterday. I think it's the same as what mine is, but I was pretty surprised by what a full dense plant this is. Mine is in a much smaller container, and though it's below a SW window, I think the conservatory light must seem brighter. I didn't look to see if this is several plants, but the cohesive arched profile makes me think it's just one plant.
    Streptocarpella_BloedelConservatory-QEPark_Cutler_20220812_175612.jpg Streptocarpella_BloedelConservatory-QEPark_Cutler_20220812_175616.jpg

Larry Mroz likes this.
  7. Larry Mroz

Larry Mroz Member

Hi Wendy
    thanks very much for the messages! So sorry for not replying sooner - I was not checking messages this summer! This is indeed a gorgeous plant! I think you are right that it might be several cuttings in one pot.

8. Larry Mroz

Larry Mroz Member

Hi Wendy - I hope you had a great summer! If your cutting is still available I'd love a piece! I don't know what happened to the message you sent - I haven't been online for a while and couldn't see it - maybe it went to my junk folder.

9. Larry Mroz

Larry Mroz Member

Thanks Wendy for the cuttings! It was nice chatting with you. I'll post pics again once they bloom.

Attached Files: