Strawberry plant leaves curling

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Roger Hawkes, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Roger Hawkes

Roger Hawkes Active Member

Our strawberry plants leaves are curling although they are watered daily . This spring we transplanted them from a crowded bed to a bed which had a black fabric covering . Holes were cut every foot and the plants replanted . The fabric is used to keep the weeds down .

Is this common for the leaves to curl , a lack of water or something else .

Roger

2. HelenaP

HelenaP Member

I guess they may get sunburned. Try to put come loose cork or white stones on black fabric so the leaves won't get so much hot. If you put cork they would have airflow also

3. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Straw is good

4. Roger Hawkes

I wondered if the black fabric may be the problem reflecting the heat upwards . It is a landscaping fabric and may be absorbing too much heat around the plant . I may have to remove it and use your suggestions . Straw seems to be more available in my area .
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Roger

5. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hi Roger,

When you put down weed control (black fabric) its usual to put down decrative stone.

Also has the fabric got minute holes in so the water drains away? There is a fabric that has no holes at all but you don't want that.

That kind is for swimming pools like my garden ended up like last year through laying the wrong fabric.

6. Roger Hawkes

I believe you are correct about the type of fabric . The water doesn't drain through it . I mentioned it to our contractor about the fabic clogging with dirt and not letting the water drain as it gets clogged with dirt when we put drain tile in during a house construction . His comment was it will rot in years to come .

We water directly on the spot where the plant comes through .
    The plants are sending runners off also . Hard to keep up , clipping them daily .

Thanks for the suggestions .
    Roger

7. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I would get rid of your advisor to start as he does not sound like he has your interests at heart...so laxidaysical an attitude!!

If the stuff you have down already is half as thick as mine was it will take years to break down.

If it not too much trouble Roger check out your fabric and if need be buy the one with holes. Hold the fabirc up to the light if its sold by the metre and you should see daylight through the minute holes.

Your in Canada so google either membraine with air holes as a starter or plantex membrane.

At my link you can see why they use it. I have actually had this one myself.

Get it here Roger:

http://www.garden-products.info/ground_plantex.htm

Its not cheap though. Good luck let us know what happens with the strawbs.

8. Roger Hawkes

I stopped by a nursery this morning and showed them samples of the curled leave.

It was suggested that the problem is air ciculation, causing a fungus to develope and a sulphur solution will treat it .

My wife doesn't seem convinced but will give the solution a try .

Roger

9. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Yes Roger,

Air circulation from lack of ventilation from that horrible lining your contractor put down.

My late husband and I ran an alottment a few years back. We just used straw when the fruits started coming. No ground cover at all. Protect from slugs and birds of course.

Here is a quote with a link

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_february_2_strawberry2.asp

At the end of the season we would set fire to the straw. The strawberries re-appeared the year after, or we bought new plants. We may even have done the runners in the ground thing pegged down.

Collars are also great for Cabbage, Caulie etc to stop Cabbage Root Fly.