Identification: Strange Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by MikePilgrim, Nov 9, 2021.

1. MikePilgrim

MikePilgrim New Member

Hi guys! Does anyone recognize this plant? I've tried googling it for hours but could not find anything!

Attached Files:

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

Looks like a Coleus to me, for which there are nearly endless variations in colouring and shape... try searching coleus images on google, it is probably the limewire type: Coleus Limewire

Georgia Strait and MikePilgrim like this.
  3. MikePilgrim

MikePilgrim New Member

Thanks! This new information blew the lid right off this case! We're certainly on to something with Coleus... now i just need to find the specific variety! I only found 1 image on google that is a match. The ''flamethrower'' varieties like the chilly flamethrower are close but not exact.

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hère is a good blog article about coleus from a green house nursery in Surrey BC

my coleus are all done for 2021 — one of those cold nights at the coast a few wk ago did them in

In other words, they are an annual plant splurge expense $. (Yes one can grow from seed or last yr cuttings - but I don’t have space or heated mat or inclination )

i go and choose some assorted leaf colors from the plant store that are looking perky and are pinched back (not leggy)

then I put them in some accent pots that I place around the patio area of our large wild garden

a bit of low numbers slow release food and regular light water plus shade during heat high noon of day — they are gorgeous with hostas and ferns etc

if you like the burgundy color and ruffled leaves - have a look at the original nursery HEUCHERAS like Palace Purple — leafy all year out in our coastal BC climate

scroll down on the link below the article about Coleus and there’s a prompt for an article about Heuchera - again, easy going in somewhat shaded containers and not too much water + foliage all year round and no pests

LINK
    The Colours of Coleus for Your Modern Garden - Garden Tips - West Coast Gardens

Heucheras - The Rockstar of the Garden! - Garden Tips - West Coast Gardens

5. MikePilgrim

MikePilgrim New Member

Solved: Inky Fingers Coleus