Strange lilac condition

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by singer74, Jun 14, 2008.

1. singer74

singer74 Active Member

My 2-year-old lilac has been displaying stem and leaf curling (please see pics) and its growth seems to be stunted. I have never seen a plant do something so strange! If anyone could possibly enlighten me as to what the issue may be, I'd really appreciate it.

We have had a really nice summer so far and the plant is in an ideal location where it receives plenty of sun (many hours each day) and water. I can't imagine what could be causing the stems to wind around like this.

P.S. Please excuse the surrounding weeds, I'm 8 1/2 mos. pregnant and haven't been doing much gardening lately! :-)

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like herbicide injury.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

it could also be some issue with the roots.

i had similar issues with mine last year...i'd moved it and it wasn't deep enough and ended up being uprooted in a heavy storm. still not looking too good this year and it didn't bloom either.

do you have a mole issue there? could be the roots have been disturbed from below.

4. singer74

singer74 Active Member

Hmmmm.... the herbicide isn't likely, though I suppose it's possible something blew over or ran off from the neighbors' yard. We do have moles, but they've always stayed in a far away spot in the middle of the yard.