Storing spring bulbs

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

I would like to know the correct way to store spring bulbs. Thank you.

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

For purchased bulbs, please don't regard bulbous plants as seeds which can be stored for months on end before planting. A few of the popular ones can be kept in a cool shed for a little while after purchase, but as a general rule this group should be planted as soon as possible after you get them, just like bedding plants.

3. pwhusband@shaw.ca

pwhusband@shaw.ca Member

Hello; Year before last I started to save more bulbs because I wanted them in pots in the spring and then needed the pots for summer annuals, so I removed them when bloomig finished with their surrounding soil and left them in little piles to wait for the leaves to turn yellow, somewhere out of sight, but where they could get some sun.I watered them occasionally while heeled in like this. when the foliage turned yellow, I removed it and layered the bulbs with dry peat moss in clean empty nursery pots and placed them in the shade in my laticced potting shed. I replanted them in the washed pots in fall with new potting soil and BONE Meal, about a tbsp. per bulb. As I replanted them I also pulled away some of the side bulblets and planted them.You can layer bulbs in pots for spring blooming, placing smaller varieties of daffs and crocuses nearer top. Use a tbsp. of javex in the washing water when you clean the used pots. This method produced beautiful healthy tulips and daffs. the following spring.I'm doing it again this fall around thanksgiving! It is very economical too! Pat, on gabriola