Stopping Pine Sap after trimming

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by dMeff, Dec 4, 2008.

1. dMeff

dMeff Member

Is there something to put on a pine tree after it's been trimmed to stop the sap flow?

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I have used a sterilizing paint on tar like substance on Yucca cuttings to stop the ends from getting disease in them, it's very thick but dries hard. There is also a aerosol form of it called steri-prune which is not as effective at leaving a good coating. I'd say you'd have to see your local nursery for the better product.

3. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

This article discourages the practice of treating wounds with pastes.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

No there isn't!

Note that it is resin, not sap, that is coming out. Pines produce resin as a natural wound sealant, and you can't improve on what they do naturally.

5. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Can't disagree with that. But I can definitely confirm that sealing the tops of Yucca cuttings in particular has definite benefit.
    In a natural situation plants produce their own sap to heal just as we bleed and scab.
    I'm just wondering if it was a Xmas tree that's been cut and put inside hence not wanting the sticky resin to end up in the house? Otherwise let it do it's own thing.

6. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Rats! After the septic guy dragged the suction hose over one of my Swiss Stone Pines, I squirted a product called "Pruning Paint" on the places where the branches broke off. It still seemed OK this fall, guess next spring will tell the tale.
    Done by marketing once again!
    Carl