Squirel chewed bark on my Crimson Queen

Discussion in 'Maples' started by agentf1, Aug 23, 2006.

1. agentf1

agentf1 Member

Squirel chewed bark on my Crimson Queen and it is a pretty big spot around the size of a quarter at the top of the trunk right before it branches (approx 40% around). Do I need to do anything or put anything on it or will it be OK? Whatever it was, I am assuming a squirel also chewed my plastic pot that my Japanses White Pine is in. Thank god it didn't chew the JWP bonsai tree.

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Just let it heal itself, but be prepared for more chewing (and keep your JWP away!).

3. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I agree with Rima. I was reading the other day that one should not put anything on pruning wounds, which would be a similar issue. Bacteria and viruses are already present, so by sealing them in, one would be providing a nice warm environment, in which conditions may be ideal for them to multiply and do damage. I am sorry to hear about the damage to your maple; fortunately the pine was untouched. This damage may continue since rodents carry on this gnawing activity to control their rapidly growing front teeth. The damage to the plastic pots could be a squirrel, but a rat seems more likely. I have seen it here with a plastic compost tumbler. The damage to the tree could be any number of various rodents. Many animals including mice, porcupines and some birds remove bark to feed on the tender underlying cambium layer (especially in winter). This damage is often noticed on thin-barked trees at ground level or on the main trunk. http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/02-071.htm. To identify the culprit, you need to try to find tracks and droppings (size in mm can differentiate species). Meanwhile, I would protect that pine if you can, with the first step being to move it, since rats and mice are habitual creatures. Is there any way that you can cover it with a mesh (since mice can crawl through a hole, and rats a hole), or in desperation sprinkle red pepper (capsicum's effectiveness has not been proven) around the base while you figure this rodent problem out? Rats, and perhaps mice, use the same runways from nest to food sources, usually along walls, since they are blind. For some reason, my neighbor has been feeding the squirrels peanuts. Since the beginning of July they have been visiting our pots, sometimes digging in them, and leaving empty peanut shells. There are several downed logs lying around, and this summer is the first time that I have noticed vigorous munching on a couple of them, so it must be those increasing numbers of squirrels. All other rodent populations we live in the woods - should have remained stable. If you have, or can find, an old branch or log that you can set out, that may help divert their attention. I am not sure if that will work, but there is no question that they will find it if you put peanut butter on it.

4. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

Hi agentf1. I have also been battling squirrles. They have chewed on several mature trees on our campus, oaks, honeylocusts, bald cypress and others. I have read that they do this for several reasons: marking their territory due to too many juveniles in the area, feeding on the bark, they are thirsty. I still haven't found a definite answer. A sweet bay magnolia that was about 15 feet tall had most of its limbs and trunk severely scarred. Our university campus is an arboretum so we have to be sensitive as to how we controlled the squirrels. We did try the hot pepper sprays and they didn't work. After doing some research I read that these sprays can be harmful to squirrels. If they get it on their hands they can rub it in their eyes which can cause blindness, that would be very sad. We tried other store bought "repellants" that were a joke. What we found to work is a product called Thiram. It is a fungicide that is also labled as a repellant. It is hard to find. After painting this on the trunk and limbs of trees we wanted to protect, mostly newly planted trees, no other damage was noticed. However, we were also trapping and relocating the squirrels to a new home 30 miles away in the woods. I had know idea they could be so damaging.

5. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Dixie, I have not heard of any such problem on campus or at the arboretum at UWBG, but I will inquire about this. Moisture is definitely not an issue in the arboretum, which does have a lake as a border on one side and a heavily shaded native matrix. It is interesting that you learned that thirst may be a cause of such behavior. If I remember correctly, you are in Texas? Are there lakes, streams, or ponds on campus? The bottom line for me is that squirrels are rodents and vectors for several diseases. I trust that all precautions are taken by staff, who trap and transport them.

6. shelli

shelli Active Member

We have had squirrel problems in the past. Have tried the pepper technique, which didn't work. I have however had some success with sprinkling moth balls around the base of trees and plants (works for squirrels and chipmunks) They don't seem to like the smell of them and tend to stay away. Of course if your trees are tall enough and close enough together they will jump from tree to tree and never go near the base where the moth balls are.

7. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

Laurie, I am acutally with the Univeristy of Arkansas, Fort Smith. I thought the thirst factor was far fetched too. I had a squirrel going to town on a 85% dead post oak that I know for certain it didn't have an adequate supply of water. I think your reason for them eating the stored sugars in the cambium is more likely. Yes, our "trapper" was very careful. We really had to constantly monitor the traps. If the squirrel is left for too long, they become quite overwhelmed and scared and begin to throw themselves into the cage which can injure them. We didn't want that to happen. I had gotten some great advice from a local trapper and he recommended placing a covering like cardboard over the trap to make it more of a calm environment (if that is possible in a cage!).