Spring!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Kaitain4, Apr 17, 2013.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is a beautiful Japanese Maple in Spring color at Lakeview Cemetery Cleveland, OH.

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wow JT, nice examples of matsumurae. Are all three the same clone? Do you have any close-up pics of the leaves?

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you! The photos were taken from the car (a friend of mine drove me through, because I have never been there). My wife and I are going back sometime this month. I will take some better pictures then, and post them here.

I believe all three are the same, you will notice the center tree is labeled with a small placard. I will be sure to get the name.

It's an amazing collection of plants. Many of the historic plantsmen of Cleveland got together in the early 1900's to collectively build the plant collection. It was going to be the original location of the Holden Arboretum, but they decided to create the arboretum east where there was more available land.

Here is a link to the Lakeview photo gallery:
    http://www.lakeviewcemetery.com/web/index.html
    (Japanese maples featured in photos 23, 38, 42, 46)

It's also home to the Wade Memorial Chapel which is one of the few interiors left in the world that was totally designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany and his studios. http://www.lakeviewcemetery.com/wadechapel.php

Here is a photo I took from the front steps of the Chapel and the all glass wall mural, along with the stain glass window, inside the chapel.

For those not interested, I am sorry for getting off topic

Attached Files:

4. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Simply beautiful, thanks for sharing JT! I shudder to think what a good hailstorm could do to such a work of art...

Since the beginning of the month, we've been cold again, though it looks like we're supposed to warm up (again) starting today and, at least thus far, it doesn't look like another cold front with snow is in the cards for us this week. I really hope it stays that way. When we do have the warm weather, the trees are pushing leaves like mad, and my azaleas are starting to bloom, but then we get the cold stuff and I'm sure they are left wondering wtf? lol

Little Tequila Sunset I think got a bit much cold or wind burn on its fresh leaves, they're looking pretty wilty though the stems and unopened buds look good, so I don't think I need to be too worried. My Amagi shigure and Peaches and Cream also look like the younger leaves maybe got a touch of frost or cold winds, some of the tips look a little worse for wear. Otherwise, all others are looking pretty good. I love this time of year...

Attached Files:

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Yesterday I went out to my friends growing field and took some pictures of some flowering shrubs (rhododendron, azalea, and lilac). He has nothing tagged, so I don't know the names.

Back home I took a picture of Kamagata and a unnamed Acer palmatum. Also here is 'Higasa yama', I just love how the leaves open up on this variety. Instead of hanging down and extending up, this variety opens like fingers extending from a clenched fist.

Attached Files:

6. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Awesome pics, everyone!

7. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

What a late year we are having in the UK! Katsura and the other earlies are fully leafed out now, most others are in the process of leafing out and the rest are still in bud. Spring always rekindles my love of Japanese maples.

Attached Files:

8. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

took a few photos after work today.

Attached Files:

9. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Great shots everyone. banjoboy, the lighting on your photos is just amazing. I love when the background is dark and the colors on the leaves almost glow. Very cool!

Here are a few more pictures. Everything is so healthy this year, so far I’m off to my best season ever!

Attached Files: