Spring grafting between apple trees

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Bob Collins, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Bob Collins

Bob Collins New Member

Hello, I recently had success grafting some winter harvested Pear and Apple scions onto an older Apple tree in our yard. I did the traditional winter harvest of scion wood and kept it stored in the refrigerator till last spring.

My question: Is it possible to harvest a scion, now.. in April, from a neighbour's apple tree, and graft it onto my apple tree within minutes of cutting it? I have a nice notch grafting tool, grafting tape and grafting wax. While I do know best practice I'm hoping to get some good advice before 'just trying it'.

Many thanks,

Bob

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I've tried grafting current growth and have had limited success; however, it doesn't hurt to try it, the sooner the better.

3. Bob Collins

Bob Collins New Member

Many thanks. I Wasn't so much expecting to find out that this would be massively successful. I'll certainly take, works occasionally, as enough of a sign. I do recognize that there is a right way to do most things and clearly EVERY bit of information online says harvest scions in winter and graft in spring... I'll give it a try. Cheers, Bob