Spring bird protection

Discussion in 'Maples' started by jacquot, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The last 2 years birds, especially crows have attacked my japonicums. They seem to be attracted to the large unfurling soft branches and leaves. Last year the attack was pretty vicious. I am going to try attaching mylar strips to the tops of the woody branches this year. Has anyone ever tried that? When a project of mine included restoration of wetlands a few years ago mylar was used on all the new plantings for protection. I assume this is a tested method that works. I'm very curious if anyone on the forum has tried it successfully. I really want to avoid last year's devastation if possible, and have even thought of using scare crows! Any advice is welcome. I have a few weeks left to make a plan.

2. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

My trees have been ravaged by house sparrows for the last few years. My defense has been to keep them under netting until the leaves have unfolded. The birds will peck off every last bud if left unprotected. Once the leaves open the birds lose interest.

I am in the aggressive control category when managing these pests. I've never seen or heard of the mylar technique but i would definitely give it a try.

This article discusses using the tape for strawberries. With a little googling it seems like the mylar tape strategy is practiced by many. I will definitely give it a try next year. For now I'm all wrapped up in netting.

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

hi ,after one week the bird realize that tape is no danger ,and return..
    for my experience the only way is one cat or one dog..
    in Rome in the old city on Platanus ,autority have put one loudspeaker with record the "voice" of hawk ,when bird retun from country the system is on ...