Spring 2014 pics

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Schattenfreude, Mar 23, 2014.

1. aromanowski

aromanowski Member

Beautiful animals!

And congratulations on the trees! As (most of) you are getting ready for spring we are in autumn down here =D

Best wishes and happy spring to you all!
    Andres

2. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Mapleandpaws dog 2 pic 2 Husky or Malamute beautiful face !!! cats make me sneeze though :(

3. xman

xman Active Member

Here are pictures from Texas, Spring 2014.
    Orange Dream, Purple Ghost, Aureum Fullmoon, Sister Ghost

xman

Attached Files:

4. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Dear Xman,

What part of Texas that you are in?. My parents are in Houston and they always want to try to plant JMs in their backyard but had no luck because of the heat they get down there. I gave them a red laceleaf and a bloodgood but none are really doing well.
    Any tips?. Tks

5. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

With the warmer weather of the past few days, the leaves have really started popping, though I still have a few stragglers; Coral Pink, Peaches and Cream, and Olsen's Frosted Strawberry seem to be the furthest behind.

I am seriously thinking of making my Sherwood Elfin into a bonsai. Not your typical shape for a maple, but quite attractive in it's own way, I think. And whenever I see the new leaves of Otome zakura, I always think of the OPI nail polish "I'm Not Really A Waitress", lol.

Again, not maples, but my Silver Weeping Pear is just lovely this time of year, as is my Kojo no mai cherry. My dwarf wisteria, Kofuji, doesn't flower, but the tiny leaves are just adorable. And no spring is complete without a lovely azalea. :)

Attached Files:

6. xman

xman Active Member

Atapi,

I live near Dallas, TX. All my trees are from the east coast, but over the last 10 years they have acclimated to the Texas heat. Did have some leaf scorching in the first couple of years, but now they make through the brutal summers with very little leaf scorch. All my trees are in smart pots with well draining soil, and root pruned every 2 or 3 years. So I think with the good root structure and well draining soil, they are able to take on the heat. I do not fertilize them too much, just a couple of times a year with dyna-gro.

xman

7. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Thank you, xman. I do not think my parents will have times, skills & patients to do like yours but it is good to know it is doable with lots of TLC.
    Cheers, Steven

8. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

Many of my trees are also finally waking up after a week of warmer weather (it hit 82 today!!) Unfortunately, a cold front is fast approaching tomorrow and lows Tuesday morning are forecast to dip down into the upper 20's. I guess I'll be scurrying Monday night to protect some trees!

In any case, here are some pics of some emerging leaves from earlier today.

Jordan
    P1020672.JPG P1020677.JPG P1020680.JPG

Katsura
    P1020700.JPG P1020704.JPG P1020705.JPG P1020707.JPG

Koto no ito
    P1020757.JPG P1020758.JPG

Happy spring, everyone!
    Kevin in KC

9. Schattenfreude

A few more pics from April 12, 2014

Kamagata
    P1020719.jpg P1020720.JPG P1020723.JPG P1020724.JPG

Viridis
    P1020731.JPG P1020732.JPG P1020734.JPG

Shidava Gold
    P1020749.JPG P1020750.JPG P1020751.JPG

Kevin in KC

10. Schattenfreude

Korean Maple
    P1020742.jpg P1020745.jpg P1020747.JPG

Roseo marginatum
    P1020752.JPG P1020753.JPG P1020754.JPG

Sango kaku
    P1020763.JPG P1020765.JPG P1020767.JPG

Green Cascade
    P1020693.JPG P1020694.JPG

11. Schattenfreude

Chioshio Improved
    P1020710.JPG P1020696.JPG

Yasemin (I think)
    P1020697.JPG P1020698.JPG

I can't recall at the moment this one, but a red dissectum of some sort
    P1020728.JPG P1020729.JPG

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  12. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for thoses delighfull pictures ; lovable downy in a so pleasant light.
    Very good proxy-shoot !

where i consider tactfullness of your eyes.

13. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Great pics Kevin, thanks! Here are a few from here, as it turned out I didn't snap many of the "classic JMs" yesterday although most of them are out.

A. mandshuricum (about 3 wks ago)
    A. japonicum 'Vitifolium' enthusiastic growth on a well established plant
    A. oliverianum (after watering)
    A. pauciflorum (idem)
    A. rubescens 'Millicent' (idem)
    A. campbelli ssp wilsonii (de Jong) (A. wilsonii Rehder after FoC) (idem)
    A. pseudoplatanus 'Leat's Cottage'
    A. palmatum 'Linearlobum'
    A. platanoides 'Prigo' (trademark=Princeton Gold)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  14. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Yes great pics guys,keep'em coming..also nice to see the different species from an acer enthusiast :)
    Just a couple of leaf shots...Amigi Shigure,Sazanami which seems to have appeared everywhere this year(could be a future favourite) and Phoenix,so used to seeing this on it's own roots,this grafted one looks nothing like the clonal examples which are more twiggy but brighter pink with irregular leaves.

Attached Files:

15. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Sorry my Spring photos are kind of poo-poo, when considering everything we think of when it comes to Spring. These photos from this morning are certainly not what comes to mind...

It was amazing how easily the three letter expletives and four letter words just rolled off the tongue like a poet who's craft is profanity...Yes these photos were certainly inspiring; for these are the conditions I found outside my window, in this season we call Spring.

I have wrestled with Winter for the past 6 months and today I cry uncle, like a wrestler tied into a bowtie by his opponent, I am pounding the mat in agony, I am tapping out. Please make it stop!!!

Hope came in the form of a phone call. Joe from Leuty nursery was calling to inform me the shipment came in from Buchholz with my new Amigi Shigure in a 12" cedar planter box, and what's even better is that he said the tree is bigger than he thought it would be...

The feeling of Spring is back!

Attached Files:

16. Houzi

Oh my god JTI,can't believe it's still like that!...we've had winter arrive in April before but only briefly....and to have it for 6months Geesh!...9months of autumn I'm used to Lol but that would get me down.Is there any sign of a thaw coming in the forcast?...I really hope so as like yourself,I'm sure we all miss seeing your pics of the lovely garden.
    Well there's nothing like adding new plants to the collection to cheer one up.Even though I really haven't got the room,I can't stop myself.I've already bought half a dozen new plants,Amagi Shigure is new for me too but mine's very small...look forward to seeing yours...and have pre-ordered a couple of US cultivars.It does lift the spirits but in some ways almost like a drug...you wait in anticipation,finally attain the plant and are happy for a little while...then you want more ha ha.
    Anyway,here's hoping it's all over soon for you and anyone else in the same situation....think of the flowers you'll get next year! :)

17. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Wow JT, that's a decent amount of snow - and I'm betting heavy and wet too. At least you didn't get any ice. We only got a light dusting here - maybe 1/4" or so? - but it certainly got cold, or maybe it just felt that way since we'd had upper 70s and low 80s for the previous few days (got down to just below freezing). Did you have the strong north winds too? Though I would love to keep collecting maples, I think I'm nearing the end of what our yard - and hubby, lol - can support. One tree that is still on my must-have list, though, is Amagi shigure. Make sure to post pics of yours once you get it so we can all drool with envy!

Today we are back to more seasonal temps, thankfully, with a high of 60; still cooler tonight, and for the next few, but that's ok. With the warm weather prior to the front going through, the trees we changing dramatically, even on a daily basis. In the picture of the three potted trees - Otome zakura, Aekan Ie's and Sherwood Elfin - I find it very interesting how far down the flowers on Aekan hang; is this typical of a linearlobum, or unique to this particular cultivar? None of my other maples have flowers that hang this low.

What's interesting, though, is my new Coral Pink (got it in Feb and potted it, then planted it end of March; came from Tennessee iirc) is way behind all my other trees, even the three I just got on Friday from NY. It has buds, but they are barely swollen, and it doesn't appear to have gone through any change in the last 2-3 weeks. The trunk and branches appear healthy, but it's just 'stuck'... I know some cultivars are later than others - is this typically one of them?

Attached Files:

18. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks Houzi! Glad you enjoy my photos, I look forward to getting some great shots when Spring finally arrives. I will go crazy shooting the Amigi Shigure, because I can't wait to get back into photography.

We had our first real warm up on Saturday, it went up to 80F or 26.7C. Last night we plummeted to below freezing and the snow was back.

I can't wait to see our new Amigi Shigure, I have high hopes for the tree. I totally relate to the maple addiction being like a drug. Every time I think, okay this is "the tree" that will make me content, but then I find myself never satisfied or I see something new that feeds the addiction again. I'm running out of room too, have been saying it for years, yet I always seem to find room for something new.

We are also looking to replace our Sango Kaku with a very rare 8' Sekka Yatsubusa (the nursery said they had it for 20yrs and it was originally a 10 gallon tree when they bought it) or we may go with a "same as" (or close enough) replacement with a 12' Japanese Sunrise. Kind of weighing if something rare and unusual (old specimen Sekka Yatsubusa with all its character) outweighs the beautiful bark of the Japanese Sunrise. The financial difference is only $100, Sunrise being cheaper.

Otherwise our 2014 maple acquisitions are limited to the above....I think...maybe...Well it is for now. Until I find something rare, something beautiful, and something that is a great deal!

19. Houzi

26degrees!that's a hi summer temp. here...then back to snow?!!....that's just crazy,I bet it's confused the plants and animals.
    Well I think it's most maple collectors dream to own a large Mikawa Yatsubusa,but a close second for me would be a Sekka so I know which I'd choose...but hey,I've never lived with a nice Sunrise.I'm sure whichever you choose it will be the right one to compliment your garden.
    You mention age and character...this reminds me of something that I've only really recently realised.'Amazing Maples' once made a good point saying that everyone goes crazy for the colourful new cultivars.I must admit I've succummed to this on occasion,infact a couple more are ordered,but as he pointed out,most generally grow to be more of a bush than a tree,don't have the same impact or presence as a nicely shaped but perhaps plainer tree.I have to agree with him and have found myself looking more at the old or plain cultivars recently.I plan to aquire a Tsuri Nishiki on Saturday which though just plain green had nice pointy leaves and pleasing branching.At another nursery I also enquired about a couple of old cultivars they listed when ordering my last batch,but although they still have the stock plants they no longer graft them as there just isn't the demand,''everyone wants the all singing&dancing plants these days''they said.As they graft many 1000's of trees each year I can understand they probably can't justify it but it does seem a shame.
    Ha ha,I've just remembered something which kinda brings the point home.I got hold of a 7ft Hagasa Yama less than 2weeks ago,it was a good price and the leaves are pretty.....but it wasn't until I wrote this reply that I remembered I had it.It's stuck in a corner behind a couple of other maples and to be honest is never gonna be a nicely shaped tree.Even the big old one at the nursery could easily be walked past without notice,it just was not a tree that you'd go racing up to see once you've caught sight of it from a distance.It just goes to show to me that the overall impression of the tree is more important and will stay in your thoughts more than anything else.I bet if any long time experienced collectors are reading this they're thinking..at last he's getting it ha ha,but there's room for everything in life,it just takes time to realise what you really truly like.

20. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks Houzi, something told me to post my question about the decision on the two trees to replace my Sango Kaku and now I'm really glad that I did. You are the voice of reason that I needed to hear and I feel really good about the Sekka Yatsubusa.

Some of my favorite trees in our garden are the ones with the most character. A few of them are old stock plants from my friends growing field for his nursery. The old stock plants tend to have lots of character with a thick trunk and diverse branching.

maplesandpaws, yes we had the high winds gusting up to 55, along with a high wind advisory. We are supposed to warm to mid 40's tomorrow and maybe see 60 by the end of the week. My Coral Pink has small buds that stay pretty small up to when they leaf out. It leafs out in the second half of my collection, but I can't remember where it stands in the lineup. If Acer griseum leafs out and your Coral Pink still has only buds, then start to worry. Acer griseum is always the last to leaf out in my collection.

21. opusoculi

Attached Files:

• JT12.JPG
      JT12.JPG
      File size:
      413.2 KB
      Views:
  22. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

JT1 Cannot believe the weather you are still experiencing in the US,hopefully in a few weeks time things will be back to normal for you and you can start to enjoy the budding and opening of the new shoots.
    Feel as though i am rubbing salt into your wounds by posting pics of the arrival of spring in the UK.Looking back at my records and pics from this time last year we were way behind and i wasn't at this stage with the JM until the end of April begining May !!

Pic 1 Orange dream fighting for your eye with the Burgudy lace and the Seiryu in the corner well in leaf at this time.
    Pic 2 Selection of Dissectums
    Pic 3 Mixed group large container JM and ground growing JM at the side by fence

At the rate everything is bursting at the moment May time should be quite colourful,looking forward to this Saturday going to see the girls at Hippopottering nursery looking for a nice Nigrum hopefully and maybe a Emma ? hope i don't come back with more:) like a child in a sweetshop!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

23. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Its a word that probably would not be found in an formal book on the English language. So I will try to explain:

A baby will 'poo-poo' in their diaper and when they do, its a very unpleasant surprise; much like my unpleasant surprise when I looked out the window in Spring and seen snow. Or the unpleasant surprise, for someone to view a spring thread with beautiful colors and photos, to come across my 'poo-poo' photos of a snow covered patio. With the example of the baby, one would not use a four letter profane word like sh*t, when it comes to a cute baby, because it would be too harsh and inappropriate.

Another example would be when a very well known US publication or Journal comes up with a list of the best inns in Japan. Many of its US subscribers agree from past experience or they try out an unknown inn from the list and are thrilled with their experience and agree its one of the best inns in Japan. While this list maybe received well in Japanese media and tourism; when the Japanese scholars and professionals review this list, one may politely say "they poo-pah the list", when its not received well by the Japanese critics and some disagree totally with the list and feel a US publication does not hold any merit on the recommendation of the best Japanese inns.
    *(i)

24. opusoculi

Ho yes, i see !
    If i have been in your place, opening my window in this april 15 morning , i would used more inappropriate language as you did... certainly on one's own account
    -"qu'est ce que c'est encore cette merde ?"
    Naturaly in french ; i wich it feel only strange and more exotic .

To day in France S_O , full sun , humidity in air was only 23%. At 20 h i was sprinking.
    Concerning aconitifolium and others early, first push is over.
    Enjoy your news plants and nearest early spring , here this period it had been too short.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  25. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here are the young leaves of A. crataegifolium and A. pectinatum ssp taronense, both new in the garden this year.

@John, stay zen. I was sorry to hear about the presumed loss of your SK, (BTW Japanese Sunrise is excellent and less troublesome), the long winter must be terribly frustrating. And no one would poo-poo that!

Attached Files: