Spring 2010 purchases

Discussion in 'Maples' started by sasquatch, Mar 7, 2010.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

OOps, I forgot to mention the name of it, it is an Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira'. I have fun with the big trees. I bought 15 large trees from them which was 3 - Shaina, 2 - beni Hoshi, 1 - Bonfire, 1 - Oshio Beni, 1 - Filigree, 1 - kagiri nishiki, 2 - fireglow, 1 - shindeshojo, the monster shishigashira and 2 As Aureum and it was a full truck

2. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

No new maples for me, but I am enjoying watching my existing trees leaf out. My yard is small, so I am literally out of space for new trees unless I remove something. Even at that, about half my maples are growing in containers, and I gave away a couple of them last summer. I moved several of my Japanese maples last fall because they weren't thriving their previous locations, so hopefully they will do better in their new spots this year. One of my containerized trees (Emperor) dried out last summer and I was afraid that it had died, but it appears to have survived with a limited amount of dieback.

3. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

Wow!! That is simply amazing! We'd love to see more pics. Will you keep all these trees in pots? I love your photos of your yard with all those giant trees in pots. Please post more photos as spring approaches.

4. amazingmaples

yes, they all go into pots. it is a lot of work and thank heavens I find someone to help me. Other than when we unloaded the 15 trees, I never use any tractors. It is all done by hand. My big issue now is getting them out of the wood boxes since the wood boxes do not hold water well and the trees quickly grow roots through the bottom. With 500 trees on a 1/2 acre it is tight so I am always moving them around looking at nes combinations of tree fitting together.

5. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

breathtaking shape on that Shishigashari - to die for! Have fun with that beauty.
    I bought a small Green Flag recently from Sam at Eastfork and am
    mesmerized by its magnificent urn shape as it leafs out.

6. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

So last weekend hubby and I went to visit Charlie at amazingmaples because I couldn't stop thinking about a Koto no ito (http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=249203&highlight=koto+ito#post249203) he told me was available and that would fit in perfectly with the design he and I have been implementing.

I was so proud of myself because I managed to restrain myself and only get one tree. Well, on the drive home there was one more that I couldn't stop thinking about, a beautiful Pixie (http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=249769#post249769). So that night I made arrangements to go back. But the next day, I couldn't stop thinking about this Ueno yatsubusa (http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=249770#post249770) I saw. So I called him again and said I would be picking it up, too.

When I told hubby I was going back, he said something he probably shouldn't. He said that between the cost of the ferry and the gas that it really added to a tree's price unless you spread the transportation costs across at least a few trees. Can you guess how I implemented that?!

To cut to the chase, we came home today with five trees: Ueno yatsubusa, Pixie, a specimen sized Mikawa yatsubusa (http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=249342&highlight=mikawa#post249342), a beginning bonsai Mikawa yatsubusa, and a Baby Lace (http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=7849&highlight=baby+lace). Two rode inside the truck with us but I still think I could have fit in one more. Snicker, snicker.

But seriously, I'm so excited about the new grouping that I feel like I'm going to burst. Thank you, Charlie!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  7. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

An excellent thread for sure!

I have just over an acre and luckily for the trees my house isn't soo big so it doesn't take up much of that lol.

This year I've been pretty good.

For Japanese Maples I have only added a Purple Ghost and a Higasayama.

I have a couple new viburnums: Wentworth, Loenard's Dwarf, and Bradnywine. Those are replacing Honeysuckle bushes the previous owner blighted me with. (Don't worry, I still have plenty of Honeysuckle darn it.)

Oh yes, I have a Acer griseum Paperbark maple and a Cornus Controversa Giant dogwood. They're both "replacements" for a large Fraxinus americana White ash which is too over the house and garage with the Mustang in it for the ash to survive with a deep split in it.

8. amazingmaples

One of my new treeswhich has caught my eye is an Acer palmatum 'Aureum'. It has opened up to be a nice bright yellow color which is different than the trees similar to Ap 'Katsura'. I will post a photo in the next day. I also like the green color of Ap 'Matsuyoi'

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  9. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

I took another trip out to Del's Japanese Maples yesterday and came home with another nice load of maples. I got alot of small maples, plus a few 5 gallon ones.
    They were all Acer palmatum. Here's the list:

Ariadne
    Baby Lace
    Deshojo
    Filigree Rouge
    Geisha
    Golden Pond (purchased on a whim. I know nothing about this one)
    Grandma Ghost
    Higasa yama (a new graft + a 5 foot tall tree)
    Lemon Lime Lace
    Mikawa yatsubusa (small, but fairly old)
    Okujishi nishiki
    Tatoo (the real Tattoo. Very short internodes)
    Tenny no hoshi
    Tiny Leaf
    Tsuma gaki
    Villa tarranto (about 4 feet tall)

This morning, I picked up a Shin chishio for cheap at Rogers Gardens in Springfield. They have a small selection of maple trees, but some good deals.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  10. Merrie

Merrie Member

Stunning,
    can you id slide 20, 45 and 83?

Thanks Merrie

11. amazingmaples

One of my new additions, Ap Grandma Ghost is just now leafing out. I look forward to seeing it since I have not seen one in a larger size like this tree. Two other new additions have me waiting to see their leaves, one is Abigail Rose and the other is Squitty. The two look similar without leaves so it will be interesting to see the differences. Oh I wish I had that big Geisha gone wild, winterhaven. maybe you can show all of us the tree.

12. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

#20 is Wilson's Pink Dwarf. The other 2 are both Matsu kaze (I think).

Edit: After a second look, I think the 2nd tree (photos 45 and 83) are Mixuho beni, not Matsu kaze.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  13. Merrie

Merrie Member

winterhaven,
    I catch the ferry too, so I am wondering who sells nice J.M. in the area? My free time is limited so long trips are not easy to arrange.
    Thanks
    Merrie

14. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

Yesterday, I purchased a small Bonnie Bergman and a 3 foot tall Royle. I also got a 30" Mikawa yatsubusa.

15. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

16. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

Well after many months of anticipation, my longipes 'Gold Coin' arrived. Talk about a road weary plant. Mostly weak, drying out leaves.

It came from Canada and I think had recently arrived at the nursery there.

I was worried about it, but I potted it up and put it in the shade house. It started pushing new leaves the past week and numerous new buds are emerging. I am relieved.

goldcoin.jpg

17. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

I got a few more maples last week. I replaced a Acer shirasawanum Palmatifolium that died over the winter, and purchased a Acer shirasawanum Moonrise, as well as Acer palmatum Midori-no-tiebuki, Mikazuki, and Shinonome.

18. amazingmaples

I finally received all of my new additions for spring. Here are a 7' tall Ojishi, a 11' tall Seiryu and a 12' tall Fireglow and with them, my yard is stuffed full

Attached Files: