Identification: Split Gill Variety?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Jun 17, 2008.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Found this beautiful small fungi growing along sticks on the Kansas Bluffs along the Missouri River. We are getting a ton of rainfall in this area so lots of moisture. The tops were a slight bit 'furry' almost pinkish to salmon in color? As they aged they turned a dull greyish-brown. The largest of these was the length of my thumbprint...about 2 1/2 cm long?

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The gills look exactly like the gills I see when I look at the Split Gill Schizophyllum commune. I've never seen another fungus with these kinds of gills, so as far as I know this must be your critter. I've only seen them old and dried out, and the topsides were whitish-greyishbrown.

3. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

Schizophillum commune ss.

Regards,
    Nico

4. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Not sure if I'm referrencing that incorrectly? All I get is scientific research on recovering baldness........or a commune from USSR?

5. Michael Kuo

Michael Kuo Active Member

6. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

thanx BOTH of u for that! I couldn't seem to figure it out...lol
    It IS nice to know it is a split-gill.....I've noticed around my area this past year we've had a couple that look completely different on top? Some being a pure white/perfectly half circle shaped/very fuzzy on top................to others being rippled brown/pink color/off centered/lightly furred. So wasnt' sure if I had the same species.
    You're link was great info also!
    C.Wick