Spider Mite Issue on Pine Trees

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by redbarchetta, Jun 4, 2009.

1. redbarchetta

redbarchetta Member

It appears that I may have a spider mite issue with my pine trees. Can somebody provide some advice on how to get rid of these pests. I have four eight-year-old pines and about the same time last year, beginning of June, the ends of the tips of the branches started browning. Basically the tips of the ends of the needles are browning and it works it way into the tree causing many of the needles to brown and drop off. I do see some webbing on the tree limbs, but not a lot (not everywhere I have the brown needles). I tried some product bought at Home Depot, but it does not seem to work well. Also, I have been hosing down the tree weekly to try to disrupt any insects, but nothing seems to work. The browning needles ended last year once the windy season began and the needles dropped off the tree. When winter arrived with the rain, it led to new tree growth causing the trees to look healthy again, but this whole process is started over this year late spring. Does anybody have any advice to rid them once for all??

2. patchoulipal

patchoulipal Member

It does sound to me like mites, in my experience, if not treated it will eventually kill the trees. Several products will work, Avid, Forbid etc... You can do a google search for miticide, or one of those product names and get some more info. They are kind of pricey, but, not as expensive as a tear out and replacement. Good luck, I have been fighting them for 2 years.