Spanish Palm Identification

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by gabis, Aug 20, 2012.

1. gabis

gabis Member

Hello everybody,

I collected some seeds from a nice looking palm tree in Sevilla during my trip in Spain and brought them back home to try to grow them. The only problem is that I have no idea what species it is and as it starts to grow I will eventually need to know what they are in order to get the infos about how to care for them properly so here is the picture I took thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a cycad, not a palm; probably Sago Cycad Cycas revoluta. It'll need a greenhouse in Quebec.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Keep the seed starting mix at ~27c for up to six month to effect germination.

4. gabis

gabis Member

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response I appreciate. They have already germinated, in fact they have germinated in 2 or 3 days.. The seedlings are growing pretty quickly but I am planing on growing them indoor. Thanks for the tips don't hesitate if you have something to add concerning this species.

As a matter of fact I started some of them in one big pot anybody knows if they can be grown in cluster?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012
  5. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

I'd grow them individually, but only because they are handsome as young single plants. They make great house plants, and used to be popular outdoor plants in the southern United States (not to mention in warm climates around the world), but in the US and the Pacific, a scale insect from Thailand has spread, and is killing most species of Cycas. Europe must still be free of this pest.

6. gabis

gabis Member

Thanks everyone!! They are growing slowly but I have 3 very healthy seedling and 1 weak-yellow looking one they should look like cycads in 10 years!

7. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Congratulations. If the seedlings are happy, they will become nice pot plants pretty quickly. Bear in mind that cycas grows in flushes. The plants will sit for a while, seemingly doing nothing, then abruptly send up a cluster of fresh leaves.