British Columbia: Source for heritage plants that need a new home / old heritage rose variety

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Gieselmann, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Gieselmann

Gieselmann Member

We are in the process of completing the restoration of a house in Kitsilano, Vancouver. The house is being restored to its old (1910) glory under a Heritage Conservation Agreement with the City. On the east and south sides of the property (which are fully visible to the public) we would like to plant "old heritage plants".

Is there any website / source for plants that have been removed from recently torn-down heritage homes and which need a new garden?

More specifically, we would like to put an old heritage rose on the south side of the house. Do you have any recommendation which rose variety we could use?

Thank you for your help.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I know of no such list re: heritage homes and plants. If looking for ideas, though, I am guessing you are aware of Heritage Vancouver Society's annual garden tour (which may or may not visit truly heritage gardens). The Burnaby Village Museum makes a stab at presenting a heritage garden, as well, though I don't think the plants were labeled.

As for a rose, I'll leave that to someone else to comment. Offhand, I'll guess that not too many old heritage roses would have been bred for a climate such as Vancouver's, and may not perform well. But others will likely correct me.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Oh, there is also the London Heritage Farm in Richmond, which I've never visited. They have a Memorial Rose Garden with mention of specific cultivars -- bonus, so you can go see how well they perform.

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Maybe somebody from the Vancouver Rose Society would have some information and suggestions. They have shows, garden tours, and a contact page for rose questions.
    Main Page