Some questions about large flowers in the garden

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Nadia White Rock, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

There are several very tall flowers. I can see that we have answers for Datisca cannabina

There are others without name

1.Next to Datisca cannabina.
    EDITED September, 2: determined to be Similar to Leonurus cardiaca
    152.jpg

2.Looks like campanula with green flowers, photo taken in the middle of July.
    EDITED September, 2: determined to be Peltoboykinia
    681.jpg

3.I believe this one is from Asian garden
    EDITED September, 2: determined to be Mentha spicata
    002.jpg

4.Salvia? August,8
    EDITED September, 2: determined to be Strobilanthes attenuata (in the Acanthaceae)
    Flowers in Asian Garden 6.jpg

5.Buddleja in Asian garden, August,8
    Buddleja,Asian garden, August,8.jpg

6.Near entrance, in Asian garden
    EDITED September, 2: determined to be Rostrinucula dependens
    Asian garden.jpg Asian garden5.jpg

7.This one looks like Astilbe to me and Wendy, Asian garden. Or is it too big for Astilbe?
    EDITED September, 2: determined to be Astilbe rivularis var. myriantha
    Astilbe-question,  Asian garden.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here's another one Nadia wants a name for. It's north of the Shop. There was no way to get closer to the flowers.
    EDITED September 2 by wcutler: Inula helenium.
    EDITED July 20, 2016 by wcutler: Hmm. In posting 16, I said I would edit this one to put in the name on the tag: Inula racemosa 'Sonnenspeer'.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

1. Similar to Leonurus cardiaca

The last one is one of your friends the Inulas.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

4 is Strobilanthes attenuata (in the Acanthaceae) - I think some of these are available in the shop right now. Colonizing (but not too aggressively) perennial that seems to tolerate being on the sunny side of the base of a western red-cedar.

6 is Rostrinucula dependens

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes motherwort grows near the Datisca, so that sounds right. Number 2 looks like Kirengeshoma (most of the petals are gone). Number 3 must have been in the Food Garden, looks like Mentha spicata. Would like to see more of number 7.

6. Nadia White Rock

I am not agree with second, it is not Kirengeshoma(I know that plant very well), picture was taken in the middle of July before Kirengeshoma started to bloom.Flowers are much smaller, reminds me campanula

7. Nadia White Rock

This plant is near entrance or not far from entrance, I think in 2 locations, I smelled flowers, they have very unusual unpleasant smell. Sorry I don't have better pictures.

Attached Files:

8. Nadia White Rock

Found one more of 7.

Attached Files:

• 044.jpg
      044.jpg
      File size:
      161.4 KB
      Views:
  9. wcutler

We found the sign for number 7 today - Astilbe rivularis var. myriantha. Thank you, if the sign is new. It was very easy to see today. [Edited]I'm attaching a photo to show the size.

Nadia wasn't convinced of the suggestion for 2, and I guess is looking for the species/cultivar for 5.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Do you have the bed numbers for either 2 or 5? (hint: look at the labels on nearby plants, bed numbers should be in one of the corners)

11. wcutler

We remembered to look for this plant today, so here are more photos. Distinctive feature is the peltate leaves, though they're not peltate on the flower stalks. There is just a bit of a flower left in the second photo; it has fruits now.

It's on Upper Asian Way, at the northeast corner of Farges, so I think 3AA7.

Attached Files:

12. Daniel Mosquin

It's a Peltoboykinia, but we need to do some further investigating to determine which one.

13. Nadia White Rock

I am so glad that at last we know the name. Thank you.

14. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

#2 looks like Inula helenium.

#7 and #8 seems to be showing different plants. #8 seems to fit with the Astilbe tag, but #7 looks like Cimicifuga.

15. wcutler

Regarding number 5, the Buddleja, I said it was just a weed, since it looks like a pretty weedy area with almost no tags (Perny, plot 3AD7), but Nadia insisted that it was intended to be there and was something special. In fact, there is Buddleja davidii cv. Dartmoor listed as being in that area, so unless anyone says otherwise, I'm assuming that's the ID for this.
    20120907_UBCBG_Buddleja_Cutler_P1310864.jpg

Regarding the Peltoboykinia, we found across Upper Asian Way another one, this one with a tag: Peltoboykinia tellimoides.
    20120907_UBCBG_PeltoboykiniaTellimoides_Cutler_P1310607.jpg 20120907_UBCBG_PeltoboykiniaTellimoides_Cutler_P1310612c1ps.jpg 20120907_UBCBG_PeltoboykiniaTellimoides_Cutler_P1310612c2ps.jpg 20120907_UBCBG_PeltoboykiniaTellimoides_Cutler_P1310608.jpg

Nadia can't remember if this is the one she first posted, and we can't even tell if it looks the same, or even if it looks the same as what I posted. There is supposed to be Peltoboykinia watanabei in 3AA4, west of Farges. The one I posted is just east of Farges. [Edited] - I've now zoomed in on the photos, and I think the P. tellimoides does look less hairy than the one I posted, and the leaf lobes seem to have sharper angles. From the photos, I think this is what Nadia posted, and I think mine is the P. watanabei.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  16. wcutler

Gee, it's so easy to see names now that the pesky plants have all been cut back. There are two signs where the Inula were north of the shop, both saying Inula racemosa 'Sonnenspeer'. They're right on the edge - I don't know why I'd have had trouble getting close to the flowers. Maybe the plants were too tall - I see on the first site I checked that they grow to 175cm.

I'd re-edit posting #2 to put that name in, but it's older than is allowed for editing.

Attached Files: