Solved: Lonicera hispidula

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by StephenJK, Jun 11, 2019.

1. StephenJK

StephenJK Active Member

This looks like Claytonia perfoliata to me but it has multiple pairs of stem leaves and no apparent basal leaves. Photos taken in Snake Lake Park, Tacoma WA.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

This is a member of the honeysuckle family, Caprifoliaceae (and almost certainly a honeysuckle). Give it another day or two for those flowers to open.

StephenJK likes this.
  3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Lonicera hispidula, I would say. Lonicera ciliosa shows much more orange so close to opening. L. hispidula is as likely to be found clambering over the ground as climbing up into trees. But . . . given enough time, this is what can result.

Attached Files:

4. StephenJK

StephenJK Active Member

Yikes! This is native correct? The plants I saw were quite small and isolated. Do they require certain conditions to grow that large? Thank you so much!

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

E-Flora BC notes that Lonicera hispidula is a "Partially evergreen, woody vine or sprawling shrub, 1-6 m long/tall . . . " I can attest to that on my property where it also roots along the way when opportunity presents itself. Although it grows quickly once established, it would take years to reach the size shown in my photos.