British Columbia: Soil test results, confusing??

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by CarolK, May 3, 2011.

1. CarolK

CarolK Member

I just did a soil test where I plan to do our vegetable garden and it came back green, which apparently is Alkaline according to the chart. Alkaline soil is supposedly to only be where there is not much rain or clay like soil conditions, is this not correct? I live in North Vancouver and we get plenty of rain and there are tons of worms in the soil and holds together good when squeezed in hand. So how accurate are these tests?

Should I add anything to the soil before planting or not?

Thank you

2. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

I find those results surprising. Get a professional soil test with recommendations...

3. CarolK

CarolK Member

So you think it should be neutral? What should I be expecting? My carrots never seem to grow well either.

Thank you

4. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

There are all kinds of variables with soil. Perhaps a previous owner over-limed the area? The only way to know for sure is to have a soil test done by a professional lab. They measure all soil parameters and will let you know what is lacking. Most will give amendment recommendations. It's well worth it if you are serious about gardening. I've used Pacific soil lab (in the Vancouver yellow pages) and they were good.

To take soil samples for testing you should follow these instructions or similar...

http://www.soilminerals.com/soiltestservices.htm

5. CarolK

CarolK Member

Thank you. I will try and see if I can find a lab in North Van? What does this cost?

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

The lab I have used in Langley runs around $75 for their basic test (which is fairly exhaustive for the average gardener). Look up Norwest labs and you will find their current incarnation, it has gone through ownership changes over the last few years.