Snowy Palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by nlafrance3, Oct 28, 2006.

1. nlafrance3

nlafrance3 Member

Hey everyone,

I took update pictures of the 5 of my palms here in Edmonton, Ab yesterday and then it snowed today so I had to take a couple more. I'm putting up the link to my pictures so you can see their progress since may.

http://community.webshots.com/user/nlafrance3

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

You have to admire the determination of folks in cold climates.
    Cheers, LPN.

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Do you not worry about other than the obvious cold, the fact that being in pots they are more likely to get knocked off?
    I can imagine there are several things you could do to help them survive outside where you are.

4. nlafrance3

nlafrance3 Member

Yea I wasn't able to plant it this summer but I'm hoping to plant it this spring because I know it can't withstand probably more then -5c in a pot. But when its in the ground hopefully I only have to care of it on those days where it is colder then about -12c because that seems to be a good temperature to start from what I've read. I may just test it to see how long it takes to get any damage and then protect it thereafter past that temp. Those trachy's in colorado that they were testing saw no damage till about -18c but I don't wanna push it too quickly. Just as a quick fact Edm only saw below -15c weather in about 3 different stretches that lasted a couple days last year so that wouldn't be too bad to have mega protection for just those days and lighter protection from about -10 to -15.