Identification: Snofozam - delicate single white weeping, mid-season

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Joseph Lin, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

I found another "single white Weeping cherry" at 3859 West 38 Ave. at Wallace St. NE corner. The flower is 3 cm wide with 1.3 x 0.9 narrower petals. The 2 cm pubescent pedicel holds 3~4 flowers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Single white Weeping cherry?

'Snofozam'.

3. Ron B

Sold in the US using the registered trademark Snow Fountains. Common in Seattle.

4. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

How to differentiate 'Snow Fountain' with 'Shidare-yoshino' ?

5. wcutler

wcutler Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

In your photos here, the petals are narrow, as you mentioned, so they don't overlap, and to me they look more delicate, more like 'Beni-shidare' but white. [edited by wcutler 2011jan15: In your posting in the thread now named Sendai-shidare - Single white blossoms, mid-season, pendulous], your photos show the petals overlapping, so from the top, the blossoms look more like 'Somei-yoshino'. They look tougher to me, but I know one doesn't read botanical descriptions that say things like that.

The examples of 'Shidare-yoshino' that I've seen are often broader trees, and the characteristic that made me guess that as the name of our 'Shidare-yoshino' trees was the thick twisted limbs.

I don't see any leaves on your 'Snofozam' photo; the leaves come out with the blossoms on those other trees.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  6. Ron B

Note that the cultivar name 'Snofozam' is enclosed in single quotes but the registered trademark Snow Fountains is not. Only cultivar names are indicated by the use of single quotes.

Registered trademarks are marketing devices used to sell cultivars. For purposes of illustration, here are some comparisons (perhaps not of strict parallels, but probably close enough to make the point):

'Snofozam': gelatin

Snow Fountains: Jello

'Snofozam': glyphosate

Snow Fountains: RoundUp

Before trademarks and registered trademarks (and plant patents) were used in the marketing of plants only botanical, cultivar, and common names were involved. Now selling names (trademarks etc.) are common and need to be understood in order to refer to them accurately when discussing plants.

'Snofozam': 'Shidare-yoshino'

Snow Fountains: [no equivalent, 'Shidare-yoshino' being a multiclonal cultivar with ostensibly no trademarks etc. being used to sell any of the clones]

7. wcutler

Re: Which single white weeping cherry, early mid season?

I found a nursery's blog posting with photos of a tree said to be 30-35 years old (in 2011). That should be close to original for this cultivar, so that could give some indication what size to expect for an old tree.

8. wcutler

Re: Sendai-shidare - Single white blossoms, mid-season, pendulous

I've copied this posting here from the Sendai-shidare thread, as it in part answers Joseph's posting. But I mis-read his question to be asking about 'Sendai-shidare', where he asked about 'Shidare-yoshino'. We've never talked about 'Shidare-yoshino', and though I saw a cutting last night, I don't really have any feel for what that is at all. Joseph, which tree were you asking about distinguishing from 'Snofozam'?

Unlike the earlier pendulous trees with white blossoms, this 'Sendai-shidare' is putting out leaves before the blossoms are open at all.

Note the long, thin sepals.

Attached Files:

9. Ron B

'Snofozam' is in full bloom all over down here at the moment.

10. wcutler

I need to get some 'Snofozam' leaves posted, so here are two trees we have been calling 'Snofozam'. These two photos of the tree near the Aquabus dock at the foot of Hornby were taken in March by Sue Wagner. There were no leaves when the tree was in bloom.
    20150310_Foot of Hornby_Snofozam_Wagner_ 2048x1536.jpg 20150310_Foot of Hornby_Snofozam_Wagner_ 2432x4320.jpg

Here are leaf photos I took today, same tree.
    20150420_HornbySeawall_Snofozam_Cutler_142930.jpg 20150420_HornbySeawall_Snofozam_Cutler_143018.jpg 20150420_HornbySeawall_Snofozam_Cutler_143029.jpg 20150420_HornbySeawall_Snofozam_Cutler_143137.jpg

This tree at Clive and McHardy has never been caught with flowers, but it seems to be the same as the Hornby Street one. The owner called it Snow Blossoms.
    20150420_CliveMcHardy_Snofozam_Cutler_184553.jpg 20150420_CliveMcHardy_Snofozam_Cutler_184614.jpg