Snakebark Understocks

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Scion Swapper, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

Dear Forum Members,

I'm considering either purchasing understocks, or seeds for understocks, to graft some of the newer snakebark cultivars ('White Tigress', 'Pheonix', 'Joe Witt', etc.). My understanding is that the following three species are appropriate candidates for understocks:

Acer tegmentosum
    Acer davidii
    Acer pennsylvanicum

Of these three, does anyone have any experience to tell me if there is one species that is superior to the others (ie. better root system, easy to transplant, hardier, less succeptible to disease, etc.). Also, of these three, is there one that commercially is more desireable as the strait species? I know several grafters who are using tegmentosum to do 'White Tigress', but I haven't heard much about the use of the other two species. Any feedback that members can provide would be helpful.

BTW, I haven't seen 'Joe Witt' in person, but from photos I've seen on the internet, the white bark looks incredible. Much different than any of the other winter interest maples.

Brian

2. Dale B.

Dale B. Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Brian,

I believe that any of them will work, they are closely related. I believe that Acer pennsylvanicum is native to your part of the country. I would start with that as a rootstock in your area, I would think that it is well suited for your climate. If I were grafting for my area of the South, I would use a more heat tolerant rootstock.

Dale