Small white worm in my Magnolia Tree

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by DeALuvsGod, Jun 18, 2006.

1. DeALuvsGod

DeALuvsGod Member

First, my Magnolia is at least 20 years old and 35 feet high - well over the top of my home. It is located in my backyard in a forested area.

I have a very small, white worm in my Magnolia Tree. I noticed it just this year. I feel tiny drops of water fall from under the Magnolia when I am lounged under it, as well. The worm can hang from the limbs on what might be a spider-like string. I cannot see it.

The Magnolia went through several storms, Ivan and Katrina being the worst. It was stripped of its leaves on the southeast side both times. It looks full now, but this worm has me a bit concerned.

Also, I have a yellow, spiny spider (known mostly as the Jewel or Spiny or Christmas spider) in this tree. I think it is eating up worms, but I cannot tell what any of its prey have been at this point.

My questions, do I need to worry about the worm in the Magnolia? Is the small drops of wet related to the worm or a bug? Is this liquid ok to be touching human? What, if anything, should I do about this worm? And will the spider be ok to leave there?

Thanks,
    DeA in NWFla