Small tree for rooftop planter

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Serenella, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Serenella

Serenella New Member

Hello,
    I would like to plant a small tree (6-8ft max) in a large planter on a rooftop terrace downtown.
    The site is very windy and sunny. There will be irrigation.
    I am wondering if a multi-stem Acer circinatum “Pacific fire” would be suitable for an exposed location. If not, I would greatly appreciate other ideas (not to keen on conifers). Many thanks.

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello and welcome to the UBC Forums.
    There are no trees I have ever heard of that actually enjoy being wind-whipped so I wonder if there is anything you can devise to offer some protection?
    If you can, then there are a number of small trees that grow well a sunny site, especially with adequate irrigation. Acer circinatum 'Pacific Fire' looks nice.
    The Great Plant Picks website suggests a few Acer palmatum (Japanese maples) such as Acer palmatum 'Orangeola' and A. c. 'Tamuke yama'.
    Something else to keep in mind is that smaller-leaved trees usually fare better in the wind than large-leaf varieties.

https://www.greatplantpicks.org/search/plant-details/2042

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It being a yellow form 'Pacific Fire' won't be best in a hot sunny position. Also, it is not a dwarf. With no Sec. Palmata maple be an optimum choice for tough conditions. Otherwise, there certainly are plenty of small-growing Japanese maple cultures. And Amur maple is adapted to a continental climate, should therefore be able to handle a rooftop in Victoria. With there being dwarf cultivars of that on the market.