Appreciation: Silverbush - Convolvulus cneorum, and a few other plants

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by wcutler, May 22, 2018.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I was embarrassed to post this plant for ID, thinking it was something very common that everyone else knows, but now I think I have found it via Google image search (for the first time ever getting something that seemed useful): Silverbush - Convolvulus cneorum. I see this species has been posted four times previously for ID, the last time being three years ago, but I certainly didn't remember it, only that the flowers looked similar to plants I know. So a shrub in the Convolvulaceae family, supposed to grow to about a meter, which this is.

This one is growing on the side of the West End Community Centre, with some Australian plants for company.
    Silverbush-Convolvulus-cneorum_WECC_Cutler_20180520_101821.jpg Silverbush-Convolvulus-cneorum_WECC_Cutler_20180520_101830.jpg

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  2. wcutler

I should correct my comment about the size - it's in a planter that is one meter high! And it drapes over that to the ground, so the impression is of a shrub that height. The immediate neighbour is a choisya, not Australian - the Australian plants are a little farther along the path.
    Silverbush-Convolvulus-cneorum_WECC_Cutler_20180523_113912.jpg
    And I should applaud the city for trying to make the garbage bin and utility area a little attractive.

3. wcutler

I'm posting a rockrose, which from a distance I first thought of for the ID of the above plant. This might be Cistus x hybridus - there are many leaves not wavy-edged but some that are, and the flowers might be a little too untidy at the edges. I figured out that was wrong with this ID for the above plant pretty quickly, though there are some Cistus with narrow leaves, but the separate petals and bright yellow stamens and the buds look very different from the silverbush.
    Cistus-hybridus_EnglishBaySeawall-Snackbar_Cutler_20180523_143541.jpg Cistus-hybridus_EnglishBaySeawall-Snackbar_Cutler_20180523_143611.jpg

These were near the snack bar at English Bay, Sunset Beach. Right next to these are some Asphodeline lutea. I don't think I'd have remembered this name, but Daniel Mosquin posted a sticky false asphodel yesterday (Triantha glutinosa), so the word asphodel was fresh in my mind.
    Asphodeline-lutea_EnglishBaySeawall-Snackbar_Cutler_20180523_143653.jpg Asphodeline-lutea_EnglishBaySeawall-Snackbar_Cutler_20180523_143744.jpg