Silk Tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by cctval, Oct 7, 2004.

1. cctval

cctval Member

I would like eto plant onee or two silk trees, mimosa or alibizzia ..someething in my East Van sunny garden.

I am looking for tips ... advantages and disadvantages of a tree like this for my garden.

Thanks!!!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Hard to offer much without viewing the site. If you have a suitable environment, then it's a matter of how it would go with the architecture and existing plantings, if you would be happy with its other characteristics. Here's how big it has gottten down here, in WA (our biggest are down near the Columbia River, where the hotter Willamette Valley climate extends up into WA):

46' x 7'2" x 75' (Vancouver, WA)
    49' x 4'5" x 47' (Woodland, WA)

3. cctval

cctval Member

more info on Silk tree site

Thanks Rob for thee info.

Here's a pic of the location. I would likee something to screen that big house a bit ... also for shade.

I a I really like how it worked in this other garden (see second pic). It looks like though 4 silk trees (I believe that's what they are) are very close to the fence and the house they don't seem to be crowded or falling into the house.

Attached Files:

4. cctval

cctval Member

my site

sorry, that first picture is what I'd likee to achieve.

this is thee existing site.

Attached Files:

5. cctval

cctval Member

anotheer photo

here we go

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The ones at the other place are comparatively young. They will grow much bigger. Also keep in mind that when their leaves are off in winter they will have little screening value.

You appear to have enough room to install a mixed planting of various trees and shrubs between you and the neighbor, this would be much more interesting and effective than a single row of deciduous trees (or a single row of anything else).