Sick Ponytail Palm - Help!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by holly416, Jul 6, 2018.

1. holly416

holly416 New Member

I'm hoping someone has seen this before and can help! I've had this ponytail palm for a few years (it's been re-potted once 1 year ago) and in the last few months it has developed brown circles on the new growth and it looks like it's rotting from the tops of the palm? The trunk still feels solid and hard all around. I first noticed the problem in the spring when I started leaving my doors and windows open - could it be a parasite or bug or is this is classic over-watering issue? If so, what should I do now and is it fatal for my pony?

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_4104.JPG IMG_4100.JPG IMG_4101.JPG IMG_4102.JPG IMG_4103.JPG

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like overwatering / sitting in wet soil. Replace with soil that has better drainage.

3. holly416

holly416 New Member

Thanks I'll try that!

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

A container without drainage holes will aggravate the problem of overwatering.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Oh, yes, I didn't notice that. Replace that pot!

6. holly416

holly416 New Member

Thanks - currently it's actually in a plastic gardener pot with drainage holes sitting in a drainage tray WITHIN the black stone pot (if that makes sense....?). The black stone pot also has a hole at the bottom (i know this because it leaked out onto the floor one time!) but I will try replacing the soil and adding some stones, etc at the bottom of the gardener pot to maximize drainage.

7. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

holly416 likes this.
  8. holly416

holly416 New Member