Short-lived Cistus

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Margot, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I have taken a lot of joy from this Cistus since starting it from a cutting no more than 10 years ago. I don't know its name but it has white flowers with a bit of red in the centre. It was seemingly in a perfect spot, growing in sandy soil at the top of a sunny rock wall.

I know many Cistus are short-lived but I'm really going to miss mine and don't have a clue what to plant in its space. Not another Cistus though because that area is now included in my irrigation system which may be what accelerated its demise. Branches had already begun dying even before watering became more frequent.

An article I read in Pacific Horticulture suggests that there are some varieties of Cistus that are relatively long-lived but I wonder if any of you reading this know of any from your own experience you could recommend for the west coast. (It has to be white, not pink or purple.) I'd like to plant a new one in a sandy/sunny area that does not get too much water.

Pacific Horticulture Society | Rockroses for Northwest Gardens

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Plant shown is Cistus x hybridus.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Thanks Ron for identifying my Cistus and Wendy for suggesting an alternative plant. I think I'll take some cuttings of the one that is dying but not replant any Cistus in that spot. I've been reading lots about Osamanthus but, much as I admire them, there's not enough space where the Cistus is . . . it looks large because it's cascading down a rock wall.

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Yes, why not to grow a new one from cuttings. You have already experience with doing that, so it should not be a problem.