Shinglers

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by bihai, Sep 28, 2020.

1. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

Anyone growing any shinglers? I love them. Monstera dubia (green form and variegated form), Scindapsus, Rhaphidophora hayi, Rhaphidophora korthalsii, Marcgravia, Rhaphidophora cryptantha

Attached Files:

Acerholic and Tom Hulse like this.
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I have a photo of Rhaphidophora cryptantha from Waimea Botanical Garden on O'ahu. I'm not sure what convinced me that the "Monstera dubia" label was wrong, but I managed to convince the garden that it was wrong, and they said they were changing the label to Rhaphidophora cryptantha but not marking it as confirmed. Thanks for posting yours. I love them too.
    Rhaphidophora cryptantha-was-MonsteraDubia_WaimeaBG-Oahu_Cutler_20150116_152610.jpg

Acerholic and Tom Hulse like this.
  3. bihai

The hallmark to distinguish these 2 shinglers is that the Monstera has DOWN pointing leaves and the Rhaphidophora UP pointing. Otherwise you right...they look really similar in the juvenile stage. But a Monstera dubia that had climbed as high as the one on the tree, in Hawaii no less, would have also likely already morphed into the huge mature leaf form.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It's the garden that put up the sign. That seems like a really easy distinction. Thanks!

5. bihai

Yes I had never known that until someone pointed it out to me. All the Rhaphidophoras that shingle point up.