Sharp's Pygmy question

Discussion in 'Maples' started by PoorOwner, Apr 23, 2006.

1. PoorOwner

PoorOwner Active Member 10 Years

I am considering getting this one, The only problem it seems to me is that the bottom of the branch have leaved out but the top are still only buds, is the tree stressed or is this normal for this cultivar in spring?

Next question is if this one is worth while to have? Will I have good fall color in Northern CA?

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I do not have that cultivar so I cannot answer all of your questions. However I can comment on your first question on the leaves. It is a common happening in many A. palmatum cultivars that have been transplanted or otherwise perturbed, to have the leaves well developped at the base of the tree and less and less so as you go up the stems. It is probably due to the roots not been able to supply adequately the entire plant. As the roots develop you will see the leaves grow, although sometimes roots do not develop fast enough and entire branches die off

Gomero

3. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have observed the same on some of the cultivars I have, but they do seem to leaf out gradually, over a few weeks. I assumed it was due to the weather, since the temperatures were still fluctuating (warmer and cooler days). Interesting thoughts about root development.

4. swanny

swanny Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have attached a few pictures of my Sharp's Pygmy taken over the last few days. The tree is probably 2-3 years old and this is the first spring I have owned it to see how it leafs out. Very nice shape and light coloring of the leaves.

Swanny

Attached Files: