Serrano Chilli Peppers or Nightshade ???

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Marn, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

I planted a garden this year .. but i had noticed that it looked like my chilli pepper seeds had gotten a lil scattered from watering ..instead of going in a straight line they are kinda zig zagged .. but i thought serrano chillis had yellow flowers not white .. and the tops look more like tomato tops then the peppers ..thats why i was thinking these might be nightshade .. if it is im ripping them out right away .. i dont want that growing in my veggie garden and i dont have this any other area in my garden thats why im puzzled .. here are the pics..

Thanks

Marion

Attached Files:

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I think your intuitions are right, Marn. Looks more like nightshade to me too.

: )

3. Marn

Thats what i kinda thought .. i guess the tilling brought it up ..i know the seeds from them can stay dormant for many years..

Marion

4. The Hollyberry Lady

A few weeks back I had a crop of tomato seedlings come up almost simultaneously! I haven't sown tomato seeds for over a month, and I never forget to label. Imagine my confusion, as to where the heck they came from, let alone what kind they were!!!

: O

It was too late in the season so I thinned them all, but regret not seeing one through a bit, just to see what I might have ended up with. What a weird thing though to have these tomato seedlings pop up unannounced like that. I am still baffled by it.

Lovely plant though, Marn. Be sure to show shots when the fruits ripen...

5. Marn

ya you can imagine my confusion to this one .. they are just slightly staggered were i planted the chilli pepper seeds .. like the seeds just got moved a lil bit when the sprinler was on .. lol.. well ill wait a lil bit but im sure it is nightshade and i dont want that around at all ..

Marion

6. The Hollyberry Lady

I think you're making the right decision.