Sequidodenron giganteum dying?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Erik Persson, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Erik Persson

Erik Persson Member

My Giant Redwood was planted 29-Oct-04 (45 cm tall). Each year, it has had a few dead twigs, sometimes cut off by me. This year, it is much worse. The tree is now 200 cm tall, 110 cm wide.

What is this; what should be done? I do not want to loose my favourite tree!

Erik

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Clip dead bit off and discard.

3. Erik Persson

Erik Persson Member

Thank you for quick answer Ron B.
    It is pretty Major to cut off all branches that are affected!! What do you think it is?

Is it normal for this tree to loose some branches/twigs?

Erik

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Just the dead only, not the whole branch. Probably is some kind of fungus or similar so if it comes back you should think about control measures. I have seen some similar damage on other specimens in this region, maybe it is the same thing that gets on them back East.

Do pull the grass back away from the tree, so that it has an area clear of grass to grow in. Probably also time to remove the stake and ties.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes. Though your tree is a bit more sparse than it should really be.

6. Erik Persson

Erik Persson Member

Thank you Michael,

I have never fertilized this tree.. Perhaps it is time now? erik

7. Michael F

I don't think it needs fertiliser. It looks to me more like it is suffering from competition from other plants (e.g. all that lush grass tight around its base), and/or poor soil structure (perhaps compacted soil, which grass can cope with well, but many trees can't).

I'd remove the grass for at least a metre radius around the tree, and put down a layer of mulch to suppress weeds and encourage earthworms which will help aerate the soil.

You'll also very soon need to think about giving it much more growing space - that Norway Spruce to the left will need to be removed soon if you want the Sequoiadendron to grow well.

8. dirt reaper

dirt reaper Member

Pacific Northwest - Washington State, USA
    I agree with all of this information.

It is normal to have a few dead twigs every year but yours seems a bit excessive. It also does not seem to be suffering from winter burn.

Be very careful in removing the grass. The root structure is very close to the surface surrounding the tree. I have eight acres of giant sequoia trees I planted in 2003 and all of the trees planted in the grassy areas seem to be lagging behind in growth when compared to the others.

I use 16-16-16 general purpose fert. on my trees. Once in the spring once the ground has warmed and in late late summer just prior to the returning fall rains.

Good luck!

Jeff

9. Erik Persson

Erik Persson Member

Thank you all for this!

Yes, the Norway Spruce is scheduled to go one day..

Interesting that the grass is that important..

So, I'll cut off some dead stuff. Could anyone give me an idea how to "control" this problem; I do not want to loose 1/2 of my tree!

Thanks again,

Erik

10. Michael F

Only cut off brown leaves, no need to cut any green foliage.

Yep, grass roots form a very dense mat and can have a major impact on the roots of young trees.