Sending plant to Canada

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Bluewing, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure where on this forum to ask this, but here goes.

I have always read on different plant forums for yrs that it's illegal to send plants from the US, to Canada because of possible diseases coming in, but that seeds are ok?
    What about "un-rooted" cuttings? Can they be sent to Canada from the US?

Thank you!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

No difference than with rooted plants - new pests and diseases can still be on or in them.

3. Bluewing

Thank you Ron! That's kinda what I thought, but just wanted to be sure.

4. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

You might be making an assumption there Ron B. Best to check the latest regs. A few years ago I tried to bring a plant across the border, well on a plane actually, and the concern was for the soil, and soil-borne pathogens. Specifically nematodes. It wasn't possible for me to take a cutting (it was a fern). You may be right, but then again you may not be...

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you search through the CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) web site, there's plenty of info.
    Much depends on what you're sending to Canada, and from what State to what Province. Most often you'll need a Phyto-sanitary certificate to accompany the shipment. Often a bare root (no soil or rooting media) plant is required, although not exclusively so. Some shipping companies charge a brokerage fee over and above regular shippng, US Postal Service does not.

Cheers, Barrie.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

From outside, the absurdity I find is that it is (I presume?) easier - and much riskier to plant health - to send a plant 5,000km from Newfoundland to Vancouver, than it is to send a plant 50km from Bellingham to Vancouver.

Or does Canada also have between-province controls?

7. LPN

Yes.

8. Chester

Really? I've ordered plants from other provinces and there hasn't been any controls. What are you referring to? Thanks for clearing the earlier question up btw.

9. Bluewing

Thanks for the information LPN. All the same, it all seems a bit of a hassle, so I'll just stick to sending future cuttings here in the US.

10. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Chester - you ordered from catalogues, yes? They don't normally offer anything restricted.

11. LPN

This from CFIA;

The objectives of the Plant Protection program within CFIA are to prevent the introduction and spread within Canada of plant pests of quarantine significance, to detect and control or eradicate designated plant pests in Canada, and to certify plant and plant products for domestic and export trade.

Pest surveys are required to maintain claims of "pest-free" status of an area, to detect new populations of quarantine pests, and to delimit populations of quarantine pests with limited distributions in Canada.

Cheers, LPN.

12. Chester

Yes, I do order from catalogues. The reference must be for growers, and other Hort. trades sending plants (in large numbers?) between provinces. I, as a consumer, have never had to deal with a between-province restriction. Someone is likely dealing with this long before I have to. The inference was that someone sending cuttings from one end of the country to the other was going to have to jump through some kind of bureaucratic hoop. Not so.

13. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

They're far more concerned with large-scale horticultural and agricultural applications, I think. Because I find that I can send seeds from Ecuador to Canada, so long as I send less than 500g of each variety at any one time. I can't send plant matter, though.