seiryu

Discussion in 'Maples' started by jumbojimmy, Aug 18, 2006.

1. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

i have a JM seiryu. i've clicked on the photos here in this site, but i don't understand why my seiryu doesn't show red leaves. in fact it's more of copper brown... and the colors aren't even which makes the tree looks messy. i wish the tree stick to one particular color.

could there be several seiryu varieties that i am not aware of?

2. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Jumbo, I assume that you are referring to the autumn color of your 'Seiryu' last season? It is coming on spring there now, so I assume that you have, or will soon have, fresh green leaves. Feel free to post a photograph which includes the pot and a close-up of any areas of concern. On a second look at your tree in the photograph at the following link, I do see the dry leaf tips, which may contribute to the overall tattered look you are describing. http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14633.
    The bark in the photograph looks great, so now you need to make sure that the tree is in the proper sized pot, not terra cotta in your climate, and is watered perhaps more frequently this season. It seems to me that I remember that these two things may have been at issue last season? It is not the Seiryu on which you are seeing branch die back this year, is it? I have three 'Seiryu' in pots, and the fall color varies depending on where I site the pots, as well as other typical factors, including moving two to larger pots like the third. I really love it when one of them has an overall mauve hue from a distance. All three also get dappled sun through the day, not constant sun. The 'Seiryu' specimen at the Arboretum in Seattle is in nearly full shade, so it does not show that red color you are seeing in some of the photographs in the Gallery. If you have choices of where to site your specimen this year, then consider protection from hot sun and dry winds. Jim in Ohio wrote: It is now planted in a shadier, less windy, better-drained location and seems very happy[,]" and his specimen last fall was apparently red with possibly a bit of mauve. Terry's here in Washington is planted in the ground as well "in quite a shady location," and it looks gorgeous with blends of fall color. Sam's in Ireland, where it is a bit cooler, seems to get the most sun and is beautiful.

3. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

Hi Laurie,

thanks for replying. Yes I was referring to last autumn color. i was quite disappointed with the color ever since those gigantic ants sabbotage this tree. But luckily this maple tree had rejuvenate.

In summer-time, the weather can be very humid and hot about 35 + degrees celcius. Moving them inside a garage or carport doesn't help either.

I have some upper branches that die back. Is that a common thing?

I have set up a personal web page or a blog whatever you call it that display some of my plants at home and what plants are avaliable in Australia. To me, this blog is like a photo-ablum that keeps track of my plants height.

I hope everyone could set up their own blog and display their wonderful collection of plants.

what i notice when i first got this tree - i put it in a really shady area, and the leaves just falls out.
    http://maplesplants.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_maplesplants_archive.html

4. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

its spring-time here, and the leaves of my seiryu tree has come out.

however, the leaves look very tiny, and the tree looks straggy (few leaves on the branch).

what could i do to fix this problem?

i like to mention that last winter, i had trimmed out some roots of this tree in order for it to fit into a pot.

5. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Jimmy, the photograph and note on your September 10 entry on your blog suggest that your 'Seiryu' is doing fairly well now. Look for any discolored bark if the leaves are tinier than usual as that is not a good sign. Even consider pruning the branch if that is the case and look for discoloration in the cross-section. Then dip the shears in alcohol before using them again. Also I think that this tree should be moved to a bigger pot if you can get one. If it gets windy, despite being in a heavy pot it could get blown over. The pot is likely to suffer more than the tree, but it looks like a somewhat expensive pot. Try to give this specimen as much shade as you can this year, since last year this one frustrated you.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Dullish/smokey autumn color typical for this one.

7. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

Hi - I need your help again.

u see, i cut off side shooters fron the trunk, and now it leaves a crack...i am afraid diseases and insects will bred inside it... what can i do to fix it up?

It looks a bit messy the way how i cut it because it was a big shooter - should I use something to wrap it up?

thanks

for image please check..

http://maplesplants.blogspot.com/2006/09/update-on-my-seiryu_28.html