Seeking Tree Pots

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by DavidB52, Oct 25, 2021.

1. DavidB52

DavidB52 Active Member

I am looking ahead to next Spring and am wondering if members here know where I can find tree pots.

These are for nut trees that will be started from seed; they have tap-roots that go down fast but do not spread much. So, ideally, the pots would be deep, but not wide. Perhaps a 4-inch diameter but 12-inch depth.

I noticed some on a YouTube video showing people planting Butternut trees in Ontario:

Also attached is a small still image from that video. Pots like this would be wonderful, but I have no idea where to find them. Anybody here know where they can be found in the Lower Mainland?

Attached Files:

2. DavidB52

DavidB52 Active Member

I'm answering my own question, in case other people may look around for tree pots.

I still have not come across any in the Lower Mainland, but did find them offered by a company in Oregon that supplies tree pots to the silviculture industry, and anybody else who may need them.

Steuwe & Sons (StackPath)

They have a large variety of pots specifically for trees.
    For example, 6" diameter x 12" deep, or 6" diameter x 18" deep.

I ordered some of the 12" deep pots and have a Butternut hybrid growing in one of them.

Interesting story behind this seed. I was walking around in the back yard this Spring and noticed the nut stuck in a fork of a shrub, about four feet off the ground. No idea how it got there. I am not aware of any Butternuts nearby. Perhaps a crow dropped it, missed the concrete walkway, and got it stuck in the shrub instead. It looked similar to a Butternut, but it was too stubby, not elongated enough, so I assume it is a hybrid (Butternut x Heartnut, which are common. Finding true Butternuts is getting harder and harder.) In any case, I put it in a pot and it spent the summer growing. Now to find a permanent home for it. Anybody here interested?

Attached Files: