Scraggly lavender.

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by GreenthumbEd, Jul 21, 2013.

1. GreenthumbEd

GreenthumbEd Member

Hello everyone,

I've got a problem with my Mini Blue lavender . I live up here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Just planted it this summer, at the beginning of June. I gave it a little pruning before I planted it on the ground. I've read that pruning it would give you a bushier plant but up to now it's kinda scraggly looking with just a few branches. There's some new young shoots growing out of the woody branches but it seems very slow growing compared to my other Mini Blue. I also noticed that the old leaves are turning yellow and curling brown at the tips. Is it dying? Did I overwater it? I only water it once a day during hot days. We did get a huge down pour last Friday. I've attached some pictures so you can see what I mean.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help.

Thank you,
    Edmond.

P.S. The third photo from the left is the remaining healthy Mini Blue lavender

Attached Files:

2. Indignation

Indignation New Member

We took about 20 cuttings from a mature lavender bush, raised them on and then planted them in the ground. All totally fine until one randomly died off, starting with something similar to what you have described. Of all the plants the only real difference was this was positioned next to a thick fence post which meant the plant got less direct sunlight during the day than the others. Ultimately we determined that it had been over-watered...

Could be what has happened here. Lavender is really really easy to take cuttings from though, so you could do this with the surviving plant in order to replace the possibly dying one. That's quite a pessimist outcome though! In the meantime it might be worth digging the plant up carefully and checking the roots system. If it's been over-watered then there wont be many roots there.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Dry and lean for lavender, too moist etc. and it gets root rot - like many other kinds of plants. Great numbers of species of plants are not represented over extensive sections of the natural world because soil conditions are not adequately aerated.

4. GreenthumbEd

GreenthumbEd Member

Thank you for the reply guys. I'll check the roots underneath, hopefully there's still some roots left. Cross my fingers. Don't know if there's still time to grow lavender from cuttings and plant them on the ground. It's already at the end of July and fall is just around the corner.