Save jade plant from root rot

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by gl0903, Jan 31, 2020.

1. gl0903

gl0903 New Member

Hi, I had two jade plants in one pot. Both developed root rot. The big one was beyond saving as the rot had gone all the way to branches. I'm trying to save the small one but not sure how much should I cut. I've attached images of the cross-section after cutting.

153065-b72b44cb26c4bc63730ffce520745847.jpg
    The above photo was taken after I cut part of the root, I noticed there was a dark ring in the centre, so I decided to cut more.
    153066-5fbadcdd8224642d5c2614ed30863f18.jpg

This is the cross-section after another cut, there is still a ring in the middle but not as dark as the ring in the first cut.

Can someone please tell me if this is good enough or I should cut more?

On the left is the small one I'm trying to save. The big one has been chopped into pieces and the big dark ring presented from top to bottom, so I gave up.
    153067-3a8728d8259472ddccc60adc4d9d8c8c.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

Scrub the rotten parts away, rinse those parts in 15% household bleach in hot water, replant in good, draining soil in a pot with a drain hole, and stop overwatering. It will be happy if you refresh the root moisture before or as it shows some wrinkles in the leaf surface. It is not necessary for the soil ball to remain wet for any length of time. This may be once a week or so depending upon the volume of soil/ability of the soil to drain/household humidity conditions. Jade needs good light, as in, close to the front of a window. If you put this outdoors in summer, give it full sun and water when dry. That may be everyday, or every day it doesn't rain, all depending upon the volume of soil/retention of water by the soil. The plant is more like a giant root, retaining lots of moisture in the whole plant like a water-ballon and can be perfectly happy in drier conditions.