Sago Palm Question

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by The New Guy, May 15, 2009.

1. The New Guy

The New Guy Active Member

I have a Sago Palm (Cycad) that’s about 10 years old, or so. Being in the Midwest, it’s kept in a pot, brought out in the summer, and brought in in the winter. Normally, it renews its leaves once or twice during the summer, but last year it didn’t renew them at all. Also, it doesn’t have a lot of rings of leaves like other cycads I’ve seen at nurseries. It usually maintains one or two rings, and kills off the oldest set when the new set emerges. Does this seem normal? Does it seem healthy, considering the circumstances? It does have two pups forming at the bottom, each with about a leaf or two of their own.

Also, is there a way to tell if it is a male or female?

Thanks

2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Member

Make sure the soil is well draining and that it is not root bound after ten years in the pot. When is the last time you fertitleized it, and with what. Remeber it is a cycad and palm food although doesn't hurt, is not really the best for it. I have had great results with tripple 15 and ironite, this is what I put on my lawn. So I just spread it into the beds where the sagos are and they have four double rows of leaves and are a rich dark green. As far as male/female goes it is just a waiting game until it gets old enough.