Sago - help

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by dcx3, Jul 6, 2008.

1. dcx3

dcx3 Member

I have a sago palm that a relative gave me, it is a beautiful palm however I have a cat and I read Sago's are very toxic to animals. I live in a climate where it is very very hot during the summer and pretty cold during winters..two extremes. Would it be ok to put the sago outside during the summer, can it stay out during winter? Love my plants, but love my pets more. Cat is indoor so placing plant outdoor it will not harm her.

2. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

Yes, you can put your sago outside during summer, but be careful not to burn the leaves by placing it in direct sun all day right away. Let it get used to the brighter outdoor conditions slowly -- put it in a filtered sun situation for the first few weeks, then gradually move to a brighter spot if you wish. You should bring it indoors in the fall, however, unless you have a very sheltered spot (say against a south wall of the house, under the eaves) where you can over-winter it. The incessant rain of PNW winters is what is worst for cycads.

Most cats will not eat houseplants, so unless your cat does have this tendency I would not worry about it. Cycad leaves have to be some of the most unpalatable leaves around.