Russian Laurel dying

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by willi2, Sep 17, 2020.

1. willi2

willi2 Active Member

We have a laurel hedge in our housing complex that has severely yellowed leaves that have dropped. It looks to me like the hedge is dying. I know that some work was done about two years ago and the 'landscaper' dug up one of the laurels to get a pipe through to the other side, and then replanted. At that time he took a large amount of soil from the area he was excavating and piled it up along the trunks of the hedge. I couldn't believe it at the time as I had always heard that the roots need to breathe, and it could kill the plant. Now another plant is showing the same signs. Do you think this could be an issue that could kill the entire hedge?
    Not sure if it matters, but there are also berries on some of the shrubs, which I understand with some plants can be a sign of stress...

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Seasonal timing of visible syndrome suggests that they are too dry. Main issue with filling over roots is it reduces access to atmospheric moisture. So another point in favor of them being too dry.

3. willi2

willi2 Active Member

Interesting, thank you. Actually in this circumstance, I would be more concerned about them getting too much moisture...if only they would speak to me....